FX6 Alternatives for 600 Gallon

kniesh

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Market Drayton
Hi all, so I finally got round to ordering my big tank for my massive Datnoide microlepis from ND. They will be coming to build on site in around 4-6 weeks. It's a 10' x 2' x 4'. I can't really sump it due to the logistics and the stand I originally built for it, so I'm going big externals. I currently run a FX5, an AquaOne Nautilus 2700 and an All Pond Solutions 2000 EF. I was going to order 2 FX6's on top of these, with the possibility I may have to lose the Aqua One as it's been playing up a bit.

I was hoping for some thoughts please, you think this is ok? Are there alternatives to the FX6's I should be considering? Any thoughts greatly appreciated

kniesh

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Market Drayton
Sorry I have another quick question if anyone can answer. I'm after a good place to buy Red Garnet Blasting sand, enough for this tank. Any good recommendations in the UK? I can't for the life of me remember where I got it for my current tank

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
The Eheim 2260 is a bigger filter than the fx6 if you’re looking for size.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm just thinking outside the box here. You seem to have given up completely on the sump which, let's be honest, would be the best way of filtering a tank that big. But you haven't even got the tank yet. How much would it cost to build a stand which would cater for a sump? It wouldn't cost as much as a new big filter I bet.

One huge sump just seems waaaayyyy easier than multiple huge externals.

That's the way i'd be approaching it anyway.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I would look into a proper pond style filter such as a ulitima 2 for a tank of that size. You would need 5 or 6 fx6s to run a 600 gallon, I wouldnt want to have to maintain that many canisters.
Agreed...an Ultima 2 would do the job and they’re easy to maintain. They have various sizes...one of them should fit your setup

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I would turn your overflow boxes into side drop filters, either submerged or wet /dry according to your preference. 40 gallons of filter volume is plenty for a 450 gallon tank.

kniesh

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Market Drayton
I'm technically very average when it comes to adding overflows etc and have no experience what so ever with anything other than canister filters really. I like the sound of that Pond filter there from all pond solutions, albeit I've got a few of their filters already, anyone have any experience with this? I was gonna run this one in the link below with 2 or 3 FX6's. Maintenance shouldn't be a problem, I work from home and can tend to do 2 filters a week on all my tanks so keeps the cycle going well.

Anybody know if this is any good, or one of their flawed products? I like the thought of the self cleaning, although know I'll still need to do some work, also, does it actually come with a pump or do I need to buy that separate as it seems pretty cheap.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store