FX6/FX5 Help

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
I have one of each on a 125 gallon tank, they are both buzzing loudly. It's my living room tank and I haven't been able to sit and watch anything without turning it up rather loud.

Bought each of them about 3ish years ago give or take, regular maintenance throughout that time, no issues until now. Going to give a brief timeline below that isn't exactly accurate.

Week 1: Both working/sounding as they should
Week 2: FX6 is buzzing, FX5 is normal - open up motor housing on FX6 and clean that out along with the impeller and the canister. Doesn't help.
Week 3: FX6 is dead, FX5 is normal
Week 4: Ordered new motor for FX6, FX5 is now buzzing - do the same thing as I did for the FX6 when it started to buzz.
Week 5: Installed new motor for FX6 and upon plugging it in it's still buzzing, FX5 still buzzing

I know these motors are solid for 2ish years give or take (prior to these two had an FX5 for years and it never had any buzzing problems, I did have to install a new motor at the 3 year mark though) so I figured it was just time to change them. But that doesn't seem to help.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Any chance you can post a video with sound of the buzzing?

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Look at the bottom of the feet. There should be some rubber isolation nubs the filter actually sits on to prevent vibration noise going into the stand, etc. If those are gone that may explain the new noise levels.

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Rubber feet are still intact and are sitting flush with the floor.

I'll see about getting a video uploaded.

Reactions: deeda

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You can post a video here by uploading your video to youtube then linking it here.

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
Just yesterday, my fx6 stopped working after I cleaned it. I then removed the motor, cleaned impellar and all is good. I'm thinking you may want to try this to fix the buzzing issue.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I found that my fx6 gradually became louder over time, until it eventually was unbearable for living room use. I tried cleaning it, greasing it, impeller swap. I ultimately deduced it would need a whole motor swap in order to fix but by that time i was done with the thing. It now sits in my garage for emergency use only.

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
Here is a video of it, and as mentioned in the OP - this is an brand new motor, entire motor swap. Besides still making a loud buzzing sound, it's working as it should. Just driving me crazy.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Do you have sand substrate?
Mine sounds like that when the big jerk spits sand at the intakes and it gets sucked up into the filter. I has to take the motor off and clean the pump area as it was full of sand.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Thanks for posting the video! Definitely sounds like something is in the impeller cavity to me despite being a new motor.

I know this may sound silly but did you receive a pump made for use in the U.S.? It almost sounds like a frequency hum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store