FX6 Plumbing

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Hello.

I recently picked up a used FX6 and am needing to plumb it as the previous owner cut the original hosing to short for my tall stand and 220gal tank. I've decided to hard plumb it and while I am at it, going to go ahead and hard plumb my other FX6 that is already up and running.

I have purchased all the PVC as well as the fittings (all in 1"). I am however debating on how I want to work the returns. I do not like the standard FX6 return as I feel it diffuses the water too much. I am thinking about just simply using 1" 90 degree elbows with a 3/4" reducer. Has anyone else done this? I am wanting a good amount of flow and surface agitation as I am currently using multiple powerheads/wavemakers that I would like to eliminate once the second FX6 is up and running. I want it to be simple and relatively cheap, hence why I am staying away from locline.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have an FX6, and I agree the return seems to defuse the flow a little too much.
What your planning sounds okay.
If you reduce to a 3/4 it may put some back pressure into the filter and reduce the GPH.
You may want to split with a 1" to 3/4 T this would also give two outputs.
On the other hand you may end up with what you started with if you do that.

Are you planning to have some flex line come from the filter then to pvc to facilitate removal and cleaning?

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I have an FX6, and I agree the return seems to defuse the flow a little too much.
What your planning sounds okay.
If you reduce to a 3/4 it may put some back pressure into the filter and reduce the GPH.
You may want to split with a 1" to 3/4 T this would also give two outputs.
On the other hand you may end up with what you started with if you do that.

Are you planning to have some flex line come from the filter then to pvc to facilitate removal and cleaning?
The reduction to 3/4 is just a slip in adapter that goes into the 90 degree elbow. I don't think I'll really loose any flow, it should just increase the velocity in which the water exits the return (hopefully).

I will have 1" ID vinly hose running directly from the canister to barbed 1" PVC fittings.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The reduction to 3/4 is just a slip in adapter that goes into the 90 degree elbow. I don't think I'll really loose any flow, it should just increase the velocity in which the water exits the return (hopefully).

I will have 1" ID vinly hose running directly from the canister to barbed 1" PVC fittings.
Sounds like a plan. If you try it please report results back, I have thought about doing this myself.

Reactions: cjdesmit

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Slapped this together last night before my chop saw decided to stop working. This will be one of the returns. The last 90 degree elbow is not cemented into place so I can direct it wherever I want. After I get the other 3 built I will be painting it all with black Krylon Fusion.

Quick and easy...
20180213_085635.jpg

Reactions: Leebtattoos

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
If you want increased flow, consider using an eductor return nozzle, or a venturi return nozzle. Both will increase the flow tremendously.

I really like venturi return nozzles. They can be turned/rotated to direct the flow where it you it to go. Love, love love venturi returns...they spit out a lot of air, so I have no need for any other form of aeration in the tank. Being primarily a spa return nozzle, they require a 1 1/2" fitting. The eductors come in smaller sizes.

http://www.poolandspapartssuperstor...ting-infusion-venturi-1-1-2mpt-black-vrfthbk/

The size range for eductors is 1/2", 3/4", 1". These are more traditionally used in fish tanks to beef up flow.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cpr-threaded-eductor.html

Reactions: cjdesmit

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
If you want increased flow, consider using an eductor return nozzle, or a venturi return nozzle. Both will increase the flow tremendously.

I really like venturi return nozzles. They can be turned/rotated to direct the flow where it you it to go. Love, love love venturi returns...they spit out a lot of air, so I have no need for any other form of aeration in the tank. Being primarily a spa return nozzle, they require a 1 1/2" fitting. The eductors come in smaller sizes.

http://www.poolandspapartssuperstor...ting-infusion-venturi-1-1-2mpt-black-vrfthbk/

The size range for eductors is 1/2", 3/4", 1". These are more traditionally used in fish tanks to beef up flow.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cpr-threaded-eductor.html
Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the look of the educators however at almost $25 a piece, it would double the cost of the project. I think the simple 90 degree elbow setup should suffice. I'll post back when I have everything completed.

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Ok, so after letting the two inkakes and returns cure after hitting them with black Krylon Fusion for a week I got everything hooked up and running last night.

Here is a short video showing the flow of the single 3/4" returns.

And here is a pic from under the stand...
20180228_183736.jpg

A few thoughts...

- The flow is not as dramatic as I thought it was going to be. It is more of a "gushing" than a directional jet. I am still pretty happy with it and it creates plenty of movement and surface agitation when the tank is filled. I was able to remove both my wavemaker and powerhead.

- Krylon Fusion is junk. It covers well and dries fast, however even after letting it cure for a week it easily scraped off from the slightest rubbing against the tank and glass lids..

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Did you roughen the PVC with sand paper before using the Krylon fusion? That is supposed to help. If you ever have to redo, Bulk Reef Supply sells black PVC.

Here's a site that sells black PVC and black PVC fittings:

https://www.savko.com/collections/black-pvc-fittings-schedule-40
Thanks for the link. I did not rough up the PVC. I considered it but I figured a plastic specific paint would FUSE to the pvc without any prep. Lesson learned I suppose...

Overall the project was cheap and relatively easy and I am pretty happy with it as it certainly is an improvement over the original equipment. Especially happy ridding myself of the massive FX6 intake strainers.

Reactions: pacu mom
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store