Gar advice needed

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
Need a bit of advice one of my Florida gar is acting odd normally he is swimming around first to eat ( hikari cichlid gold ) his favrite also gets white bait and prawn but for the last 4 days he is either sat in the corner floating at the top of the tank or sitting on the bottom he's breathing fine can swim wen he wants to and has eaten a few pellets but is not his active self no signs of illness from what I can see and no damage to his body any advice greatly revived he's by far one of my favourite fish don't want to lose him

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Hi, if you could please give a few more details that would be very helpful.

1. How big is the tank?
2. What else is in the tank besides the gar?
3. How big are all the fish?
4. What are your water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Kh GH and pH will also help.
5. How long have you had the tank set up?
6. What décor do you have in the tank?
7. Have you added anything new (fish, plants, wood) to the tank in the last month or two?
8. How often do you change the water, and how much do you change each time?
9. What equipment do you have running on the tank? Filters, lights, etc.

Also if you can post pictures of the gar that would also help people to help you.

I'm not an expert on gars (in fact I know almost nothing about them) but if you can provide the information I've asked for then other members can help you easier. Good luck. :)

Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I've seen gars do this. A good sign is it's eating. Would suggest to do what Kittiee Katt Kittiee Katt has requested. That'll help.

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
Hi currently at work but the tanks 1200 litres he is currently living with 2 Oscars and 2 green terrors and another Florida gar all have lived together for the past 2 years no problems the tanks filtered via a sump and have had no problems with water parameters they only thing iv changed is some foam filter pads

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
Well today I did my usual water change cleaned my sump out and he has been back to his normal self I noticed once I moved the bog wood around he started swimming through it round it I'm guessing he was just chilling or bored of the tank layout but glad to report he's back to his active self thanks for the input guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store