Gar and koi is it a bad idea?

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
So i have a pond with koi. The smallest one is around 30cm and the biggest 80cm most of them are around 45. I would like to put a florida gar with them. The gar is now indoor still growing because he is still very small. I would like to put him in the pond when he is 30 cm or a bit bigger. Do you think it will attack my koi? Ive read that they only attack smaller fish then themselves.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think it will and shouldn’t mix the two.

Reactions: tlindsey

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
if you don't have any long fin koi, it should be fine. Just be sure to never live fed your gar, live feeding bring out there aggressiveness. I live fed my gars once in a while but back before the koi get kill by acid rain, the gar never once touch the koi even the longfin kois. But it is mostly because all my gars were adult of 2ft(60cm) or more and they were very calm and careful when eating to never gaze the koi by accident. With the young gar, it might not be as careful when eating as older gars so it might accidentally gaze the koi's mouth here and there especially when it is gonna be hard for a gar that small to compete for food against some 80 cm giant koi.

Jesse young fish keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
if you don't have any long fin koi, it should be fine. Just be sure to never live fed your gar, live feeding bring out there aggressiveness. I live fed my gars once in a while but back before the koi get kill by acid rain, the gar never once touch the koi even the longfin kois. But it is mostly because all my gars were adult of 2ft(60cm) or more and they were very calm and careful when eating to never gaze the koi by accident. With the young gar, it might not be as careful when eating as older gars so it might accidentally gaze the koi's mouth here and there especially when it is gonna be hard for a gar that small to compete for food against some 80 cm giant koi.
Well i am feeding it live now because he will only accept live he is now only 10cm. I am going to get him as soon as possible on frozen food. I do have a goldfish with a very long fin. All the other koi have normal/short fins. I am worried that he will eat the smaller one because there will be a time where he is bigger then the smaller koi. The goldfish is 20/25cm withoud tail.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Well i am feeding it live now because he will only accept live he is now only 10cm. I am going to get him as soon as possible on frozen food. I do have a goldfish with a very long fin. All the other koi have normal/short fins. I am worried that he will eat the smaller one because there will be a time where he is bigger then the smaller koi. The goldfish is 20/25cm withoud tail.
well, he will never be bigger than the koi as koi grow much faster and with their body shape, they are much bigger than the gar. Also, the older the gar get, the less likely for it to try eating the koi. the goldfish is the problem here as their tail might get rip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store