Gar Behavior

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
Within the last 6 months to a year I noticed some strange behavior from my gar. When my lights would go into night mode (low blue light) before they turned off for the rest of the night my gar would follow its tank mate around and rub up against it. When I say rub I mean the gar will slowly rub against its tankmate and follow it around when it tries to move. After some searching into the MFK archives I found an interesting post from 2012 about gar behavior (attached image) Screenshot_20201013-212232_Samsung Internet.jpg
also here is the link to the youtube video

after watching the video I can confirm this is the same behavior my gar is exhibiting but it is doing it with its tankmate who is an oscar. Does anyone know why this is? Could my gar be trying to show dominance over the oscar?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Within the last 6 months to a year I noticed some strange behavior from my gar. When my lights would go into night mode (low blue light) before they turned off for the rest of the night my gar would follow its tank mate around and rub up against it. When I say rub I mean the gar will slowly rub against its tankmate and follow it around when it tries to move. After some searching into the MFK archives I found an interesting post from 2012 about gar behavior (attached image) View attachment 1435958

after watching the video I can confirm this is the same behavior my gar is exhibiting but it is doing it with its tankmate who is an oscar. Does anyone know why this is? Could my gar be trying to show dominance over the oscar?
In the video the one Florida Gar looks gravid and that may be a male trying to spawn. My Senegal male does that every time the female is gravid. In your case possibly the Gar
maybe establishing dominance like you stated but I'm just assuming.

giseok jung

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2014
south korea
www.facebook.com
Within the last 6 months to a year I noticed some strange behavior from my gar. When my lights would go into night mode (low blue light) before they turned off for the rest of the night my gar would follow its tank mate around and rub up against it. When I say rub I mean the gar will slowly rub against its tankmate and follow it around when it tries to move. After some searching into the MFK archives I found an interesting post from 2012 about gar behavior (attached image) View attachment 1435958

It's pairing but it doesn't always mean they will spawn

troutman54

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Michigan
I should have asked how big the Oscar was hopefully the Gar isn't sizing the Oscar up to try to eat it.
My oscar is about 12-13 inches long, gar is about 22 inches. My oscar is way to big and wide to be considered food for my gar. Also my gar won't even go after live feeders anymore since I got it to switch over to frozen silversides and pieces of white fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store