Gar disease & treatment discussion thread

Troy.m

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2015
I believe this will make for a good sticky, do add PICTURES (that you have rights to), DISEASE PROFILES, TREATMENT PROCEDURES or REFERENCES of good treatment procedures!!

if it's good, we'll add it to the sticky!!

[CLICK HERE FOR STICKY THREAD]
I have a sick gar and you seem to know your stuff I have no idea what it is or how to treat it maybe you can help, I believe I had a feather fun catfish that attacked and killed a fire eel I had, so I assume maybe he was attacking the gar when he slept too? Have a look at the pictures if u can. He seems to be getting pretty pale

image.jpg

image.jpg

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I have a sick gar and you seem to know your stuff I have no idea what it is or how to treat it maybe you can help, I believe I had a feather fun catfish that attacked and killed a fire eel I had, so I assume maybe he was attacking the gar when he slept too? Have a look at the pictures if u can. He seems to be getting pretty pale

View attachment 1144343

View attachment 1144344
separate the gar(and never keep it with that feather fin again), keep temperature at 80-85F, add salt and give it time to heal up. BTW, do some research on what you can keep with gar.

shazam

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2018
Hi can anyone help me I got my gar a month ago but can’t get it to eat pellets or shrimp I’ve kept him isolated and tried starving him for a week but still won’t eat.its a long nose gar 6” long.Pls help

Kibb_3

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2020
I’m not expecting a reply here, but I have two gars. A spotted and an alligator. They are identical in size and have lived in the same tank with each other for four months now. Anyways I get out of the shower today to find that the alligator gar had the spotted gars head in its mouth. I was able to free the spotted gar. The spotted gar immediately floated to the top of the tank belly up. I did what I could and tried to circulate water into his gills (they were bleeding and he wasn’t breathing). So I took him out of the tank and put him in a pot filled with water and added some melafix. It was at this point of circulating the water that he started moving again. Once he becomes a little more lively I put him in a temporary ten gallon. He sunk to the bottom of the ten gallon and has been laying there for the last couple hours. He’s breathing and no longer bleeding. But I’m afraid of what I’m going to wake up to in the morning. Is there anything I can do to further help this sported gar?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’m not expecting a reply here, but I have two gars. A spotted and an alligator. They are identical in size and have lived in the same tank with each other for four months now. Anyways I get out of the shower today to find that the alligator gar had the spotted gars head in its mouth. I was able to free the spotted gar. The spotted gar immediately floated to the top of the tank belly up. I did what I could and tried to circulate water into his gills (they were bleeding and he wasn’t breathing). So I took him out of the tank and put him in a pot filled with water and added some melafix. It was at this point of circulating the water that he started moving again. Once he becomes a little more lively I put him in a temporary ten gallon. He sunk to the bottom of the ten gallon and has been laying there for the last couple hours. He’s breathing and no longer bleeding. But I’m afraid of what I’m going to wake up to in the morning. Is there anything I can do to further help this sported gar?
No, just wait it out and reduce stress for the gar.

Reactions: tlindsey

GarGuy69

Feeder Fish
Nov 22, 2022
Seeking some help for my alligator gar. There has been a sore near the top end of his mouth near the eye and I have no clue what it is exactly. Then after a few weeks a bump started to appear underneath his jaw right under where the top sore was at. I was assuming it could have been fish lice cause at the time I got some feeder fish that had fish lice but I got them off of each fish I fed him during the time. But now that the sore hasn't went away and a new bump is happening underneath his jaw I really am worried and looking for some help to find out what this might be so I can help with treating it. 20221122_152151.jpg20221122_152201.jpg20221122_151410.jpg20221122_151348.jpg20221122_152201.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store