Gar first defrost meal

James Atlas

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Quick video of new Florida gar in one of my quarantine tanks taking his first feed. I always try to avoid live food where possible (nothing at all against those who do). I thread a piece of cooked shrimp onto some cotton so that if the fish grabs it, I can pull the thread out easily. Then try to make it wiggle in a "life-like" manner. Please excuse the rubbish video quality as I was holding the phone in my left hand while holding the food with my other.

PicsArt_06-04-09.50.44.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Quick video of new Florida gar in one of my quarantine tanks taking his first feed. I always try to avoid live food where possible (nothing at all against those who do). I thread a piece of cooked shrimp onto some cotton so that if the fish grabs it, I can pull the thread out easily. Then try to make it wiggle in a "life-like" manner. Please excuse the rubbish video quality as I was holding the phone in my left hand while holding the food with my other.

View attachment 1375860

That's great. The Florida Gar now knows that's food so after a couple more times with the string I personally would toss a chunk in.

Reactions: James Atlas

James Atlas

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Quick update. It worked like a charm! He's feeding pretty well on anything he's offered now and has settled right down. One more week in quarantine then he can join the main tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store