Gar Troubles

Mackinback

Feeder Fish
Mar 23, 2018
So my (what I believe to be a Needle Nose) gar has a back problem. If someone can ID too, that would be great. If my memory serves me, I recall purchasing him as a needle nose.. But googling needle nose and those tend to be needle fish.. And I don't think he matches up. He also has a pretty short, peaky like mouth. So shortmouth it seems.

So on to the problem..
He's about 6 years old and over the last few months his back progressed to what it is now.
From what I've read, it's usually said to be injury or malnutrition. I don't believe either of these to be the case.
Maybe legit fish tuberculosis?
But I wanted to get some other input on where to start for correction? Maybe he is too far gone, I dunno.
He's in a community tank, only Gar. He's hand fed shrimp daily. He goes after feeders when I get em as a treat.
But what do you all think?

MacK

View attachment 1333431 View attachment 1333432

IMG_0603.JPG

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’s a pike characin, boulengerella maculata. If I had to guess I’d say not from TB. Fish with TB will be chronically sick. Usually not feeding and acting normal. Or atleast acting sub-normal.

Could easily be from trauma. These fish will dart when spooked or chasing feeders. This is also seen other fish that have been fed poor quality food. Like feeders and shrimp. Not sure if this can be fixed if it’s from long term food quality.

Would keep floating plants to prevent darting. Make sure the tank is long enough. Switch to a pellet or cut up fish.

Once again not sure if this is correctable whatever the cause maybe. But still worth the effort to prevent worsening.

Mackinback

Feeder Fish
Mar 23, 2018
Thanks for the ID.
Hmm.. Not sure what I can feed him though. The reason I switched to cut up shrimp was because I could spot feed him while the rest are eating the sinking. Plus it doesn't sink like a lead anchor. Seemed to be the only way I could consistently keep him fed.
I can try some tilapia I have. That was sinking quick too and most of my fish seem to have trouble chewing it.
Now that my mind if thinking.. Maybe I could inject my cut up shrimp for him with pellet food.
I've tried plants before.. But sadly my other guys gobble it up. But thanks for the feedback kno4te. I have somewhere to start now.

And other suggestions on food? Seems weird to ask, but what other fish would be good?
My feeding consists of 2 cubes blood worms and 5 cut up shrimp. I attempt to feed Gar as much of 2 shrimp as he'll eat. He has no interest in the blood worms.

MacK

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Get some fake floating plants. They’re available online. I’ve had fake floating duckweed with no nipping by fish.

Like u already mentioned. Breaking up pieces of pellets in the food. Soaking the food in vitachem. Can try a powerhead and throw cut up tilapia and cut up carni sticks in it. Can also try a dried up tubifex.

Fish...as in feeders? Would bred convicts, guppies, minnows etc. Would avoid at all costs but if you have to then this and treat the feeders with methylene blue and salt dip and after that qt.

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
How about silversides, cut trout or salmon, and the odd cricket.

His back problem may be something he was born with, that you couldn't see until it progressed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store