Gar Wars: The Dark Lord of the Fish, Garth Bane

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
So I did a thing!

I bought my first "real" monster fish in five years! The arowana I got a year ago was a gift from friends when I was sick.

I ways wanted a tropical gar, but I was scared to have one both due to the cost back in the day and due to the fact that gars have a propensity for eating silvery minnow looking fish (like ATF), so I avoided gars. Now that I can't have ATF anymore, why not knock off a bucket list fish?

My wife has dubbed this fish Derpalerpagus, shortened to Gus. Pending a name offer from my sun (who gives amazing names like Minty Fins), I'll probably go with this.

==============
EDIT-

So it came to me.

It came to me, surrounded me and changed me. The revelation was profound and deep. From the deepest, darkest parts of my dad brain came the punniest thing ever to occur to me:

This trop is the dark lord of my tank. He is the first dark lord after the previous dark lords (the ATF) were wiped out. He represents newness and change, and there is only one possible name for him:

Garth Bane.

God this has to give me like 1000 Dad Joke points. I love this so much.
/EDIT
==============

Thanks to F fenderwai of Monster Aquarium for the hookup! I love this guy!

20180530_165556.jpg

20180530_165605.jpg

20180530_170640.jpg

20180530_195053.jpg

20180530_195018.jpg

LOOK AT THIS FACE
20180530_201151.jpg

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Very nice pick up. What happened to the juruense?

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Hell yah bro beautiful gar. Trops are among my favorite gars second to Cubans. Kind of like a mini gator gar lol

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hell yah bro beautiful gar. Trops are among my favorite gars second to Cubans. Kind of like a mini gator gar lol
Exactly! Like mini gators :)

I eventually want a FLG as well, but they're a dime a dozen and (at least back in ye olden dayes when I was active before) trops are very few and far between. Figured I better jump on this while it's available :)

Awesome pickup!
Thank you!

Very nice! Are these the ones from Tom @ usastingrays?
Nope! This guy came from F fenderwai at Monster Aquarium.

Reactions: Dloks and tlindsey

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Exactly! Like mini gators :)

I eventually want a FLG as well, but they're a dime a dozen and (at least back in ye olden dayes when I was active before) trops are very few and far between. Figured I better jump on this while it's available :)
See Florida gars don’t scratch me where it itches they look funny to me once they get big enough such large bodies and skinny jaws reminds me of a dart lol. Short nose gar is definitely on my list I just never see it for sale. Your guy is gonna be a stunner when big I can tell

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store