gar water temp

Hunterpearson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2020
I am looking at getting either a Florida or spotted gar for an outdoor pond I have. the pond is around 500 gallons (rough estimate) and its deepest point is 4 1/2 feet. what is the coldest water temp a gar could handle and what would be the better gar for it? (i live in NC if that helps)

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
I am looking at getting either a Florida or spotted gar for an outdoor pond I have. the pond is around 500 gallons (rough estimate) and its deepest point is 4 1/2 feet. what is the coldest water temp a gar could handle and what would be the better gar for it? (i live in NC if that helps)
How cold are your winters? Does outside water freeze during those months?

Hunterpearson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2020
How cold are your winters? Does outside water freeze during those months?
Usually no, on the rare occasions that is does is is very small and thin layers, but I was planning on using heaters during the winter to keep some areas of the pond warmer and that would stop the freezing.

Reactions: tlindsey

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Do you have a specific species in mind?

My quick research for a Florida gar shows a water temp of 70 to 78 degrees. Also you will need to take into account vegetation.

What are the width and length of the pond? I know you said its 4.5 feet deep at the lowest point, but how shallow is it? These fish get pretty big and will need a lot of room to move.

Sure gars are ambush predators and like to lay and wait for prey but that alone does not dismiss the need for space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store