Aug 9, 2007
Canton,Michigan
as stated by others just stir it up or do it when u do your wc

projectile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
ind
Do all tanks with sand have gas bubbles? Is this gas toxic to fish?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
No , only when the substrate goes aerobic . Basically not enough oxygenated water is circulating, causing and diferent type of bacteria to form in the bottom most layer of the substrate. Hence the advice for stirring up the gravel with wc.
If it smells of rotten eggs then its hydrogen sulphide gas and yes , its toxic.

If the bubbling part is localised and not spread thoroughout the tank, then bury a long airstone / strip in the sand and run air through it continously.

Using a 3-4 mm gravel helps prevent this to a great extent compared to fine grained sand.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dizcus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2011
PRISON
why not get some earth eaters or cory cats.

chachaman50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2012
NorCal, United States
I have the same problem with my Tahitian Moon Sand and I would love to know the fix.. I have a 5 inch dojo loach and a few cory cats and I don't think they help the gas bubbles

nigaharu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
Where palm trees sway
No , only when the substrate goes aerobic . Basically not enough oxygenated water is circulating, causing and diferent type of bacteria to form in the bottom most layer of the substrate. Hence the advice for stirring up the gravel with wc.
If it smells of rotten eggs then its hydrogen sulphide gas and yes , its toxic.

If the bubbling part is localised and not spread thoroughout the tank, then bury a long airstone / strip in the sand and run air through it continously.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Very goog explanation! Now I totally understand. Thank you for taking the time to explain!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishFreak95

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2009
New Mexico
Malaysian trumpet snails! they burrow into the sand during the day, stirring the sand up and come out at night to feed on leftovers. I barely noticed they were even there. I rarely had hydrogen sulfide bubbles.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store