General POTM April Discussion Thread

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
Hey everyone.

Just want to Congratulate Simon Sng for winning the General POTM April with this photo:

Title: Pathysa antiphates itamputi (Five Bar Swordtail)
Photographer: simon (Simon Sng)

Let's discuss the photos for a second. This is not JUST a thread to congratulate the winner, but to discuss the photos in the contest. Why you liked particular photos, what was it that you found interesting about them. How they measured up......

alanhill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2004
Greater Manchester, England
Well done Simon. A beautiful subject and an excellent photo, technically and artistically. I'm afriad that the other photos never stood a chance.

Alan

hir0

MFK Member
Oct 16, 2004
Azores, Portugal
great shot simon. a definite winner. i really liked the chessboard shot, but the board was turned the wrong way. the butterfly shot was definitely a notch or two above the rest. good work.

simon

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2004
GA
thanks :redface:, I don't see it as the best of the lot.. i find the seagull much better :-D

Peligrin

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2005
Mechanicsville, VA
Congratulations, Simon! No one else can compete with shots like that! The clarity and sharpness are incredible, and it has excellent bokeh (now that I know the meaning of the word, I'm going to use it! :-D )! Congratulations to the other winners, as well! Job well done, guys!

hir0 said:
i really liked the chessboard shot, but the board was turned the wrong way.
That's because it was taken by someone who doesn't play chess! :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:

ladyjai

Loach Queen
Jan 19, 2005
Valley of the Infernal Sun
The butterfly was beautiful and fantastically executed, however I'm not sure I was keen on how the background integrated with the butterfly.

There were many wonderful shots this time around.

For some reason, the spider with the unusual compositional elements and colors really appealed to me. It integrated forground and background much better than any shot which is focused on one element, leaving everything else to be 2nd or 3rd best. The spider was a little soft, but that played in with the surrealistic feel. I loved it, thanks for sharing Jake. Do you have any more like it?

Out of curiousity, what were the problems others had with this image? (Aside from arachophobia :-D )

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
The only problem with the spider (a great image) was that it was too close to the camera, I think, and the fron piece got underexposed. Usually this happens when you pull up very close to the piece and the flash does not reach in front of the lens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store