General POTM April Discussion Thread

alanhill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2004
Greater Manchester, England
I felt that the butterfly was behaving naturally in its natural habitat (drinking from a stream bed or a sandbank in the forest).
I wasn't so sure about the spider: it was bit too conspicuous because they are usually camouflaged. Also the photo was neither a close-up of the spider or a shot of the plant with the spider on it - it looked a little 'uncomfortable' to me.

Alan

Ibn

Feeder Fish
Dec 8, 2004
San Jose, CA
I really liked the spider shot as well. Ranked the seagull, spider, and butterfly at the same level (Hir0's shot was ranked at the same rating also). Both the butterfly and seagull were sharp and clean. There are some flaws in the spider shot, but I thought that it was a very challenging shot to take in the beginning and ranked it according to this aspect (akin to Olympic divers with dives of various degrees of difficulties).

hir0

MFK Member
Oct 16, 2004
Azores, Portugal
i like the spider shot, it's a nice shot. but i think it's just a little busy. and the square crop makes it look a little odd to me.

RazorBlade

Feeder Fish
Mar 16, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
www.geocities.com
I agree with Paradise - the underexposed portion on the bottom left was the 'sore point' I noted when "judging". But it was a great shot. For some reason, that composition had my attention.

Alan's comments (re natural habitat) had me thinking [and yes, I agree he's right] ... just didn't cross my mind at the time. :p

simon

Feeder Fish
Mar 28, 2004
GA
my pov, even with the bottom left well exposed, there is still the big lump, which makes the composition strange. The seagull has a clearer background. composition wise, I go with the seagull :p (thats just me)

as for the chess set, I think if a more attractive set is used. I think it will be a diff story

tlemetry

Feeder Fish
May 21, 2005
St. Louis
The butterfly is a very nice photo. I would have preferred a darker background to give a little more contrast. It appeared to be a little washed out blending with the gravel. just imagine how the colors would pop against the dark brown that is at the top of the photo.

The spider picture gives me the creeps, which is why I like it too. I like a photo that gives me a strong emotional reaction. The fronds he is climbing on is very unusual which I like also. The focus on them is ok, but the pink in the background grabs my attention to much. Nature doesn't give you the options to pick and choose your settings so my thoughts are only suggestions. My 14 yr old daughter is a spider nut. since she was little she would 'rescue' any spider that was about to get the squish treatment. She loves the spider but doesnt like the fronds, go figure. Everyone likes different things! :confused:

rainmaker69

Feeder Fish
May 11, 2005
Canada
The butterfly I would have moved a little more to the right, giving more space for it to "head into" and the underexposed front portion of the spider helps to lead my eye to the main subject. jmho

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store