General POTM June Discussion Topic

alanhill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2004
Greater Manchester, England
I didn't vote for the morning glory - I thought it looked mighty like a rose :lol:

Alan

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
I will talk to the software designer about doing it so that it would go to the next photo, but it IS built in right now, you can vote, then go "next" and so on.

The 1-10 system does not work ,because you may have two images with the same rank. It's not an absolute system of 1-10.

Andreas Werth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2005
Cologne
www.andreaswerth.net
Please don´t worry about different numbers of votes for different photos. The voting script calculates the average sum out of all votes for a particular photo.
Example: a photo with two "8s" will of course beat a photo with three "7s".

I also don´t think it will help to force all users to vote for every photo! If one doesn´t like to vote for a photo (or to deal with a photo) he won´t be a good voter if he has to vote, if you know what i mean - he will vote halfhearted.

The more people vote, the more detailed the score will be. So, my aim would be to stimulate more voters! 130 views for Hir0s winning photo isn´t that much for a big board like this one.

Perhaps we can also solve the Firefox problem: you can´t see the potm links after you click for example: "POTM main page" on the portal or "POTM HOME" in the navigation bar above (it is on the right, unvisible side of the browser). Perhaps some users simply don´t find the voting page.

tjudy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2004
Stoughton. WI
www.tedsfishroom.com
What happens if one photo gets 5 votes of '9' while another photo get only two votes of a '9' and a '10'. The photo with fewer votes gets the higher average... that does not seem right. That means that if people only voted high points for the pictures they like, but do not rate the other photos as well (presumably lower), it is possible to get a picture fewer people like as a winner.

I think that finding a way for each picture to get a rating from each voter is a good idea. I would not be too worried about two pictures having the same score. So what is two picture tie for a position... they would both deserve to win.

Andreas Werth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2005
Cologne
www.andreaswerth.net
tjudy said:
What happens if one photo gets 5 votes of '9' while another photo get only two votes of a '9' and a '10'. The photo with fewer votes gets the higher average... that does not seem right.
Hi Ted,
it does seem right to me. But this is not a good example, because we don´t have this 3:5 relation!
We are talking about a difference of perhaps (if at all) 10% of votes if you compare different photos.
The problem is getting smaller and smaller the more people participate voting.

Last edited by a moderator:

t_chelle16

Feeder Fish
Mar 14, 2005
usa
Well…. Here is my honest feedback.

This may sound a bit harsh but I feel I can spell it out b/c this is a photography forum, not just another Photo Contest on various forum.

This is indeed a nice picture but this is about it, a nice picture. There is a difference between nicely taken picture vs. not as nicely but with great composition and meaning behind it. I think "Crow" photograph was hands down a winner at least in my humble opinion. Ed picture shows great technique (*dark background) and excellent sharpness but unfortunately there is nothing else in that picture that gets my attention when compared to "Crow" picture. Not to say that flower pictures are useless and can't win the contest. I think "Field of tulips" photograph shows exactly how flower / composition photograph should look like. If top flower wasn't cut, that could be a winner as well.
I agree. Although your photo is a technically a very nice picture (good balance, use of space, lighting, in focus, etc), it really doesn't convey any emotion (at least not for me) and because of that, I really don't consider it artistic (it would make a beautiful computer desktop, calendar or greeting card, though). I also think just plain, simple, flower portraits are a bit overdone. I've looked through the entrants of a lot of photo contests and it seems like nearly 1/4 of them are flower portraits (same goes for sunsets, mountain/lake landscapes, and insect close ups). Again, not that it's a bad pic, it just wasn't original enough for me to want to give it a #1 score.

As for some of the other pics, in the one with the lion, the artificial blurring of everything but the lion really turned me off. I can kind of see the effect he/she was going for, but I don't think it worked too well for that particular shot. I think it would have been much better with just a tighter crop on the lion.

The two things that intrigue me most in photography is unusual lighting (especially if the shadows and highlights play off of and balance eachother nicely) and unusual perspectives/angles. The latter is why I like the tulip picture.

-Chelle

RazorBlade

Feeder Fish
Mar 16, 2004
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
www.geocities.com
Congrats to Ed on winning the POTM!

Actually, I agree with Jay that the Crow photo is technically more attractive. I also loved hir0's landscape photography.

But then again, it's a public forum and if the public loves Ed's tulip, Ed did something right! :D

benny

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2004
Singapore

This IR photo would have been my pick of the lot, followed by the crow.

Congrats to the winners.

Cheers,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store