General POTM March Discussion Thread

paradise

Plecostomus
Original poster
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2005
Cali
Congratulations to Francine (MsCichlid) for winning this month's General POTM with a beautiful butterfly macro, against VERY GOOD competition of Tristan's sunset (CONGRATS on 2 x 2nd place this month, man) and Hiro's bird.

Feel free to do critique in addition to congratulating the winners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peligrin

Feeder Fish
Feb 13, 2005
Mechanicsville, VA
Congrats! I'd all but forgotten that butterflies have a "curly probiscus." Great detail!

Leigh

alanhill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2004
Greater Manchester, England
A worthy winner - well done!

Alan

jjtink

Feeder Fish
Jan 25, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Well done everyone, some very nice photo's. I'm interested on what people thought of them technically. Here's my take on the top three:
1. Franciine's butterful - Great detail and composition. Well done. :wow:
2. Tristan's landscape - I love the composition, the reflections in the water are very nice, they add to the peaceful feel of the shot. To make this a winner I would have liked to see a little more detail (i.e. light) in the foreground. Difficult to achieve without either an ND filter or by taking two exposures and combining them together in PS.
3. Hiro's bird - I think the colours are stunning. Great exposure, well done. Would have prefered a slightly closer shot. I found the branches slightly distracting, especially the one on the right.

Gee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
San Bernardino, CA
This was my pic

Taken at 70mph on the freeway lol. Will do better next time, and a big GRATS! to MsChiclid. I voted 10 on that pic, because you can really SEE everything there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store