General Purpose Lens for D5100?

Piranha86

Feeder Fish
Original poster
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Bel Air, MD USA
In the mail to me is a Nikon D5100 and a VR Nikkor f/4.5-5.6G lens. I intend to do a lot of wildlife and bird photography to start out, but that will obviously not cover all my photographic needs. What I will likely need next is a general purpose lens. I have 3 prime lenses in mind, the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, and the Micro-Nikkor 40mm f/2.8. I intend to shoot somewhat close-up shots of small animals (including my fish and other pets), some environmental portraits and people portraits, and really any general photography scenario that might present itself, but I don't think I will need to go full on 1:1 magnification. I will not be photographing insects as far as I know and I don't have a huge interest in flowers. My budget is around $300 as I am a 15 year old who pays for his own stuff and I don't have a huge cash flow.

As of now, I'm planning on the 35 f/1.8, but I'd like a 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, etc.) opinion.

Which of these lenses would you reccomend, or do you have another good general purpose lens in that price range?

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store