Geophagos scratch?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
What is

What do you mean by no meaduravle hardeness and conductivity less than 50?
I'm guessing you meant to quote or reply to this....
Tapajos river pH usually 6.2-6.8, with no measurable hardness, and conductivity is usually < (less than) 50uS/cm.
Water temps average around 80-82'F. Slightly varying according to rainy season, dry season differences.
Since this Geo has been bred in the hobby for a while, it may be able to handle pH into slightly above the neutral range and a little hardness may not be a problem. for aquarium raised fish, wild type may not be a forgiving.
The substrate in the area they come from is mostly sand.
I kept an aquarium raised group in my tap water with a 7.6-7.8 pH, and they did OK, although I never thought they looked as good as others kept by aquarists who mixed RO with tap, or who had naturally softer water than mine..
When I did mix tannin infused water with water changes, they seemed to do best.
I found with my alkaline, semi hard water(250ppm general hardness (7 grains)), the Geo types that did best in my tanks, were those from west of the Andes, and south of the Amazon basin.
Types like G. steindachneri, from western S America.
Those of the Braziliensus clade from southern Brazil.
And Gymnogeophaus from Uruguay and Argentina.
No measurable hardness means it is soft water no gh or kh. Conductivity has to do with TDS if I remember correctly, I haven't worried about that kind of stuff since my salt days.

Reactions: Maged atef

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The soils in areas of black water/soft water rivers are thought to be ancient, and the constant daily rains have washed any mineral content away millennia ago. This keeps the water mineral free, except for the tannins from leaf drop, fallen wood and other plant products which make the water acidic, pH 3.5 to 6.5.
These acids are antibacterial, so fish from these rivers have not needed to develop resistance to the many species of bacteria that live in higher pH waters (in North America, Europe, or parts of Africa) and may be the reason why, when placed in neutral and high pH water often do poorly, becoming infected with bacterial diseases like HLLE and bloat. The fish themselves could adjust to higher mineral condition, but fall victim to strains of bacteria they have no resistance to.
As an example in human populations
Consider the diseases brought when europeans colonized the new world, where populations of many indigenous people were wiped out due to lack of resistance to certain bacteria and virus .

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Tapajos is a clearwater river (there are three basic river types), it's pH and mineralization are higher than described above, which would apply to blackwater rivers. The Tapajos itself, like many rivers, varies in pH, minerals, bacteria and pollutants, depending on when and the particular location where tests are done.

Soils in the Amazon and other parts of SA vary also, and in some regions include a substantial amount of a man made soil called terra preta, very fertile and long lasting, with elevated levels of "nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and calcium" ( link ). In fact, there's increasing evidence or literature suggesting the Amazon rainforest itself as we see it today is partially a result of human activity and that parts of it were actually savannah until (relatively) recently.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/amazon-rainforest-is-much-younger-than-commonly-believed/
The dominant ecosystem was more like a savannah than the rainforest we see today," John Carson, lead author at the University of Reading in England, said of the findings about the southern Amazon.

The scientists said that a shift toward wetter conditions, perhaps caused by natural shifts in the Earth’s orbit around the sun, led to growth of more trees starting about 2,000 years ago.

The scientists studied man-made earthworks, uncovered by recent logging in Bolivia, that included ditches up to about a kilometer (1,100 yards) long and up to 3 meters deep and 4 meters wide.

They found large amounts of grass pollen in ancient sediments of nearby lakes, suggesting the region had been covered by savannah. They also found evidence of plantings of maize, pointing to farming.

...In one lake, Laguna Granja, rainforest plants only took over from grass as the main sources of pollen in sediments about 500 years old, suggesting a link to the arrival of Europeans.

The purpose of the earthworks is unknown - they could have been defensive or for drainage or religious purposes.

And understanding the forest could help solve puzzles about climate change.

...Carson said that the growth of Amazonian forests could, for instance, have contributed to the Little Ice Age, from about 1350 to 1850 by absorbing heat-trapping gases from the air.

Maged atef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2020
Guys i tried potasium permangnate bath and it does not habe any effect the some time acratch i will try to find kh and gh test and i will share the result i added another drift wood to the tank i stopped adding salt and till now there is know signe of white spot and there is no sign of gill worm as the fish is not opening its gills

Maged atef

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2020
Guys i got a tropical test and my gh is 8 and kh netween 3 and 6 lets make it 6 at the tank and my tap water and the tap water is the same is it ok

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store