Geophagus id

Simonc82

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
The fish in the bottom 2 pics I originally thought where red heads but I can see a distinct difference to the red heads I currently have and this fish

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The last two are G. sp. Tajapos, aka orange heads or red heads. The first two look like they're G. winemilleri. If they have four slanted bars on the body and a cheek mark, that's what they are. The bars are faint in the pics.

Reactions: Simonc82

Simonc82

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
I have a breeding pair of tapajos and the geos in the bottom 2 pics definitely look distinctly different. I will post some pics later of my tapajos

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Red or orange head yes. But sure they are from Tapajos? I would still stick with Araguaia redhead because of the lateral spots shape.
There are no orange heads in the Rio Araguaia. That was erroneously labeled years ago and it stuck. There are orange heads in the main channel of the Tapajos (clear water) and in the Arapiuns which is a tributary of Tapajos (black water). The only difference is the intensity of color but given the close geographical proximity it’s unlikely they are two different species.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
There are no orange heads in the Rio Araguaia. That was erroneously labeled years ago and it stuck. There are orange heads in the main channel of the Tapajos (clear water) and in the Arapiuns which is a tributary of Tapajos (black water). The only difference is the intensity of color but given the close geographical proximity it’s unlikely they are two different species.
Ok, that would be new to me.
But what are the red heads (same colour like the ones from Tapajos) with the slightly different body shape and the square lateral spot (sp. Tapojos have more round lateral spots)?
They come here as sp. Araguaia. Or sometimes as sp. Araguaia-Tocantins.
Are they from the Arapuins?

Reactions: Simonc82

Simonc82

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
The fish that I claim to be tapajos in the second group of pics both have a much rounder body and totally different markings to the fish in the original pics .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store