geo's?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
ckcdrummer, all the fish in your area are likely mislabeled. A lot of suppliers list the fish as Geo surinamensis, which is why they're labeled as such at pet stores around the country. Petsmart and a local store in my area both have them, and they are both mislabeled. They are likely G. abalios or G. altifrons.

Also, jurupari are not listed as Geophagus, they are Satanoperca. The fish in your avatar looks like one of peathenster's G. winemilleri.

f1shy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2012
On mfk.com
ckcdrummer, all the fish in your area are likely mislabeled. A lot of suppliers list the fish as Geo surinamensis, which is why they're labeled as such at pet stores around the country. Petsmart and a local store in my area both have them, and they are both mislabeled. They are likely G. abalios or G. abalios.

Also, jurupari are not listed as Geophagus, they are Satanoperca. The fish in your avatar looks like one of peathenster's G. winemilleri.
I have to agree with ckcdrummer. It really does look like a surinamensis to me.

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
I have 3 geophagus Surinamesis and 3 geophagus jurupari... Very colorful fish when they get bigger... My avatar is a full grown geo Surinamesis with lots of color also not that hard to take care of.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
When are you going to stop lying? Your avatar is my picture and my fish. It's not a G. surinamensis. It's a G. winemilleri.

OK?

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Ok one it's not called lying, last time I checked I didn't lie to you about using your picture I said that it was your picture and it was cool in a previous thread. And also using what I know and being wrong isn't lying either it's called being wrong. I have no idea what our defenition of lying is and if you have a problem with me using your picture that I found on the INTERNET, tell me and it's gone. I never tried to take credit for your picture. Two, my local fish store is known for having a ton of rare fish and if a G. Surinamesis is really as rare as you say then mine are Surinamesis. The Employ's at the store have a lot of knowledge on the hobby and I doubt they would make as big of a mistake as mislabeling the fish. And three if you type in G. Jurupari on google it comes up as the same fish I have, so maybe it's not the scientific name of the fish but it seems like a lot of people call them that.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
It's generally considered rude to just take a person's picture and use it as you wish without at least asking permission.

Geophagus jurupari is a common error, but it's still an error. Just because you type a name into Google and get a result does not mean that it's correct or acceptable. The mislabeling of G. surinamensis is also a common error. I still highly doubt your store is selling them. If you don't know how to properly ID Geophagus, it seems strange to continue insisting that you know what you have. Especially if they're small, which makes them harder to ID.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
To make your photos private, watermark them, copyright them, or even ask for credit in the photos caption or encode that into its metadata. However, when a photo is uploaded to a public server on a PUBLIC forum, it is safe to assume that photo is available for public use. If you are worried about your photos and need extra help on making them private, I'm sure my brother will let you join his jr. high photo class where 12 year olds are acquiring the basic knowledge needed to do so. Now, I have
spent far to much time arguing with people on something as trivial as the specifics of fish species and photo royalty laws. If my having a photo, which admittedly does not belong to me, truly bothers you (an uninvolved, unrelated third party) I may consider taking it down. Oh, you're a peepee head. Haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store