getting a new ray, some questions though..

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
i'm getting a new leopoldi or henlii, size would probably be about 4-5" disc diameter and i was wondering if it would be ok if i add it directly to my 180 gal tank with a 15" disc diameter motoro? a friend of mine lost a motoro to a leopoldi before but with a small size difference so i'm worried that the motoro might kill the leopoldi? anybody experience ray aggression in their tanks?

also, what is the difference between a leopoldi & henlii? any pics to share would be appreciated :)

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
just spots are diffrent imo
go with a 10-12 inc leo or hen.
the motoro would kill a samll are like thaT

sen_jie

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2005
i hav seems b4 a 16inch pdr together with a 5 inch pdr at a fish shop in singapore.... but u will c the 16 inch pdr will alw tend to overlap the smaller pdr.. it is actually a sign of aggressive and showing of power... if the bigger ray is more aggressive u can c bite mark at the disc of the smaller ray... other than that.. i think not much risk.. it actually boils down to the individual ray. if u are a safe person, i think better dun risk it.. maybe i can get a 10inch dpr to com wth ur bigger sized motoro

the different btw a henlei and a leo is, leo do not hav dots on the disc of the ray. whereas a henlei hav dots at the edge of the ray all the way till abt 1cm on the underside of the disc.

henlei got the tendency of not turning to black jet colour as compared to leo. :)

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
thanks for the replies, i'll probably put a divider first then join them when the leopoldi gets a little bigger.. what size would be a good time to join the 2?

also, my motoro is a female, would you suggest me to get a female leopoldi as well? or would a male be better?

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
kido - henleii have uniform spots with an outside ring to them. You can tell by the underside if its a leo or hen. A hen has spots underneath it, a leo doesnt.

The guys are right, theres a pretty big size difference bet the 2 rays so
id play it safe, make sure the new ray is eating like a champ then i would
release. Good luck and take pics !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store