Getting puffers to eat

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m trying to get my Amazon puffers to eat a more hard shelled, varied diet. They have an appetite for brine shrimp, bloodworms, and mysis, but that’s it. One takes snails, and I’ve occasionally seen them go after scuds.
Recently they’ve even refused repashys...that seemed to coincide with my acara’s death (the glue that held the tank together).
I have tried river shrimp and bugs, and they don’t care (funny that that is their natural diet).
Is there any way to boost their appetite for the foods they aren’t accustomed to? I’m starting to really see teeth and the fish are way to small to cut them.
Do I just starve them until they eat what I want, or would garlic and bloodworm juice (how do I even get that) work?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fat Homer Fat Homer

Reactions: Deadeye

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I’m trying to get my Amazon puffers to eat a more hard shelled, varied diet. They have an appetite for brine shrimp, bloodworms, and mysis, but that’s it. One takes snails, and I’ve occasionally seen them go after scuds.
Recently they’ve even refused repashys...that seemed to coincide with my acara’s death (the glue that held the tank together).
I have tried river shrimp and bugs, and they don’t care (funny that that is their natural diet).
Is there any way to boost their appetite for the foods they aren’t accustomed to? I’m starting to really see teeth and the fish are way to small to cut them.
Do I just starve them until they eat what I want, or would garlic and bloodworm juice (how do I even get that) work?
Thanks in advance!
Try fasting for a couple days depending on size and age. Try live ghost shrimp. Don’t have much experience with puffers but I’ve always heard that live ghost shrimp is something they go crazy for.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Fasting them maybe the only way unless you are feeding them frozen foods then soaking it in garlic juice may help…

however if their teeth get too long then manually trimming them maybe the only way till you can get them onto a more constant crunchy diet…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store