Getting pup to take chopped prawn

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I just got myself a 1 month old pup. It only accepts hikari carnivore pellets.

How do i get him to take chopped market prawn? As of now he rejects the prawns when i give it to him.
I also tried hikari cichlid gold sinking and he also just rejects it from the back :)
The pup is about 4 inches . Can i starve it a little at this size?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati

How do i get him to take chopped market prawn? As of now he rejects the prawns when i give it to him.
I also tried hikari cichlid gold sinking and he also just rejects it from the back :)
Why are you wanting to change its diet? With younger fish like my flowerhorn she goes through phases where one day she’ll love pellets then next day it’s flakes and for a week it’s like that but suddenly refuses then and hides from them so I feed her what she’s in the mood for until she gets bigger. Right now she’s obsessed with tetra rainbow colored exotic fish flakes and a small Piece of tilapia. If I don’t give her the tilapia then she swims frantically like what I would call a fish tantrum until I give it to her then she goes on with yet day

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Why are you wanting to change its diet? With younger fish like my flowerhorn she goes through phases where one day she’ll love pellets then next day it’s flakes and for a week it’s like that but suddenly refuses then and hides from them so I feed her what she’s in the mood for until she gets bigger. Right now she’s obsessed with tetra rainbow colored exotic fish flakes and a small Piece of tilapia. If I don’t give her the tilapia then she swims frantically like what I would call a fish tantrum until I give it to her then she goes on with yet day
I like to have him eating a variety of food.
Also pellets is a bit messy to feed , as rays like to chew their food.
I want to he able to feed him pellets in the morning and prawns at night

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I like to have him eating a variety of food.
Also pellets is a bit messy to feed , as rays like to chew their food.
I want to he able to feed him pellets in the morning and prawns at night
I get that pellets are messy I own a blind catfish and pellets will hit him on the head before he figures out what’s going on. Try target feeding him with pellets just until he gets used to and knows that the tube means food then try to see if you can trick him into eating prawns or try mixing them together

Reactions: batang_mcdo

flyingsaucer owner

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2005
England

Chop the prawn up really small and mix in with the pellets . Let the pellets soak with the chopped prawn for a whileto give it a hikari aroma.
Keep trying and it will soon start to eat them ??
Its always been the other way round for me, mixing pellets with prawns or worms to switch the ray to eat pellets ?

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila

He is making a mess when infeed him
hikari cichlid gold , as of now he only wants carnivore ?.

I also tried small sliced prawn dippe in garlic guard , it was just passed out his back lol :) i think i'll try to get him
On cichlid gold first, but it gets really messy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store