Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Ghost knife help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Diseases and Health Issues' started by AncientFishArk, Sep 19, 2018.

1. AncientFishArk

AncientFishArk MFK Members

Jessey
      Sep 20, 2018
      So I usually answer most of my own questions, however, this is something that I haven't come across before.

I used to have a freshwater Moray or, Gymnothorax tile. I know they are more brackish water, however, i've had no issues with it until recent. Unfortunately, I didn't lose it and I think it's because I wasn't paying attention to the salt content in the water. However, whatever the eel had transferred to my black ghost knife.

Attached is a picture of the ghost knife, sorry that it's a little blurry and not a great picture. However, my typical methods are not taking effect it's in a 120 gallon tank with a few other fish, I just tested the water, low nitrate and nitrite, there is a little bit of ammonia.

Test
      Ammonia-. 25ppm
      Nitrite- 0ppm
      Nitrate- 5.0ppm
      Salinity- 1.003
      Photo 6.8

Normally, when I have issues like this, I do high temp. And salt, that's been my go to for a lot of things. I know it's not the cure all. But i've had great luck doing it now, I don't know what to do. I don't want to throw medications into the tank. You have other fish in the tank that I don't know how it's going to affect gold sharks, Bella sharks and other knives, I also know I'm going to be upgrading the tank here shortly, but I want to get this taken care of any suggestions.

I also have been doing 25 percent water changes, thinking that that may help thinking it's an ammonia issue, but sometimes it works, sometimes he looks better, I don't know. IMG_20180919_203301655.jpg IMG_20180919_203248302.jpg

2. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      53 minutes ago

How long you had the BGK in Brakish water? The BGK is scaleless and most don't do well with salt added to the water. Imo it looks like either it's losing its slime coat or a bacterial issue but not sure. I would seperate asap and keep water in pristine condition.

kno4te likes this.
    3. tlindsey

tlindsey MFK Members

Thomas Lindsey Sr.
      53 minutes ago
      @kno4te@kno4te

4. AncientFishArk

Jessey
      Sep 20, 2018
      Ghost knifes over 3 years old. Like I said the Salinity is 1.003. Just enough salt to register on the hydrometer. I use my refractometer now which is more accurate. In my experience knifes have done better with a little salt added. My last ghost knife I had for 9 years. Unfortunately it died because I had a power outage and I couldn't get the tanks running in time before the cold of winter cooled the house down and I couldn't get any battery operated bubbles.

Would you suggest any meds? Because of them scaleless, I know some meds are terrible. High amounts of copper is one. Unless I'm wrong?

tlindsey likes this.
    5. kno4te

kno4te MFK Members

Ron
      Today at 1:23 PM
      I would do a 80% water change with dechlorinated water ASAP. Give it a place to hide out. Can’t tell but can u get some close up pics? What’s ur filtration?

6. AncientFishArk

Jessey
      Sep 20, 2018
      I started the water changes, yesterday. I have done 3, 25percent. I'm actually doing another now. I haven't added anymore salt since 2 weeks ago so I will test the salinity in a sec. As far as hiding places, I haven't touched anything in the tank it still has all of its hiding spots. Should I do a 80 percent change at once with knifes? I have never had luck with that. I do have a caporo knife in the tank with it, much smaller. Doesn't seem to be having any issues. Just this one.

I thought about taking it out of the tank and medication. Would that be best since none of the other fish are having issues? Or is this like ick? I will post a closer picture in 5 min. Give me time to get one without distribing it.

7. AncientFishArk

Jessey
      Sep 20, 2018
      Here's one from the top of the tank. If I can find my go pro I'll get a much better picture

IMG_20180919_212049483.jpg IMG_20180919_212037447.jpg

8. AncientFishArk

Jessey
      Sep 20, 2018

I added a link to the video I just took. Sorry again it's short however it acts like it's trying to rub off the slime stuff. Acting like it has ick.

I'm not doing anything else until I hear from you guys with everything I put out.

Also. I just retested the salinity. 1.001. Just able to read salt. By the way for everyone to know the plants I have on the tank, Amazon sword and other swords are doing great even with the little bit of salt. Kinda through them in last year to try it and they are doing great surprisingly.

9. Galantspeedz

Galantspeedz MFK Members

Today at 12:40 PM
      Have you tested PH and if it is fluctuating?

10. Galantspeedz

Galantspeedz MFK Members

Today at 12:40 PM
      i had similar issues of fishes shedding slime and when i checked my PH went from 7+ to about 5 in 3-4 days.... i added coral chips as buffer and i never encountered the same problem again

tlindsey likes this.