Giant goramy floating on the surface with a swolen stomach

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
A friend of mine called me in a panic coz his giant goramy has a swollen stomach and keeps floating on its side at the surface. The fish looks perfectly healthy, apart form a swollen stomach, all the other fish in his tank also look healthy, I told him to join and post on here, put a pic up and see if anyone can help. I don't think its swim bladder as the fish can right itself and swim almost as normal. He said he tested water and all was normal, he asked the guy in his petshop who said do a 50% water change. I told him to stop all feeding until he can find out whats wrong.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lower the water level so the fish can swim upright. Atleast able to lean on it’s side or wedge it up against some decor.

Add some Epsom salt 1 tbsp per gallon and kanamycin/prazipro. Keep the water super clean. Hold feeding the fish for a week atleast till things change.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
he has a lot of other fish in with it I might see if he wants to borrow a tank as a hospital tank. He also has clown loaches which I believe are very sensitive, also I told him to join and post a picture thanks kno4te

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
I have no idea he lost his whole tank in the end, I think changing too much water for tap water was something to do with it. My giant goramy I feed koi pellets and sticks plus loads of other stuff.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Just curious what he was feeding the gourami, when young they are insect eaters, but after a few inches in size, and as adults they are primarily vegetarian.
A bloated stomach is often an indication that the fish cannot properly digest the food it has been given.
My guess is he was given something that wasn't fresh, and the rot caused bloating

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store