Giant Gourami Seeking Tank Advice

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
Just bought a little 3-4 inch Red Tail Giant Gourami. Have wanted one for a long, long, long time. My question is in the form of tank purchase.

My LFS has a 210 Reef Ready(Corner overflows), Stand, Lights, Overflow kit, Lids for $1499.
On hand I have a deep blue 200gallon wet/dry sump and two Eheim 300ws
I have a pump that's either 1200gph or 1600gph I don't remember.

All my research says that this is an pretty good deal the only problem is I don't really have a place to store it. I'd have to rearrange my fish room to get it up and probably get rid of my empty 125 + 75 to make room. I've been looking to get rid of them for a while now anyway.

Do you guys think I should go ahead and buy it now since the price is right or wait until it's time for the upgrade and go bigger. I'm not sure how happy I am with the 210 being only 24 inches wide. There's always the fiberglass tank 270g which is cheaper and 72x36x24 which is more to my liking, but it's not view-able all the way around. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't ever spend time looking from the side anyway but who knows. Maybe some of you guys have them?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
What size tank is the fish in? I feel that's not worth it. Spend 1500 on a tank you'll have to upgrade from anyway, not worth it imo. I'd say out the money to the side and keep saving for a larger tank whether you end up building one or purchasing.

Lawlboom

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Virginia Beach
What size tank is the fish in? I feel that's not worth it. Spend 1500 on a tank you'll have to upgrade from anyway, not worth it imo. I'd say out the money to the side and keep saving for a larger tank whether you end up building one or purchasing.
He's in the 75 QT for now. I thought Red Tails only get about 16inches 210 isn't good enough?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I believe they're the smallest of common kept gg but they do get atleast 20" afaik, and they aren't very flexible when they get there with the girth they could attain. I wouldn't keep it in a 2' wide tank, especially if you plan on any decor etc, if the tank is gonna be bare I guess it'll be fine, unless they do get up to 2'. I'd say 30" width atleast would be good.

Reactions: Vancouver_98683
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store