Giraffey

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I have an opportunity to aquire 20 clown loahes at 2.5 inch. My GC is 6 inch at the moment. Will the GC try to gobble up the loaches in the future? Wouldn't want to loose a GC from choking on a loach.

leskoluke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2017
By far one of my favorite catfish. Their mouths are pretty small and made for sifting through sand, so I doubt they would try to eat clown loaches. Although I wouldn’t know 100%

Reactions: CANAMONSTER

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Neither can I advise from either experience or memory. I'd probably be highly surprised if it happened.

On paper, it is fathomable that a g-cat could inhale a loach accidentally and tried to blow it out of its gills as it does with all refuse and that way a loach could get stuck in the gills. IDK how much a stretch this is.

I have 7 g-cats. They completely ignore any thawed fish I offer as feed.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Neither can I advise from either experience or memory. I'd probably be highly surprised if it happened.

On paper, it is fathomable that a g-cat could inhale a loach accidentally and tried to blow it out of its gills as it does with all refuse and that way a loach could get stuck in the gills. IDK how much a stretch this is.

I have 7 g-cats. They completely ignore any thawed fish I offer as feed.
I never ended up getting them. I really enjoy this GC , he is growing nicely and very friendly. Though my tank is a fair size I choose to keep it lightly stocked for the fish's enjoyment

Reactions: Fishman Dave

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Got this little guy in the early summer around 3 inch and is probably 6 to 7 inch now. Great friendly little guy. I'm wondering if he is growing slower then normal or maybe even not your common giraffe nose? I feel like he should be larger by now. Maybe not?

IMG_20180928_214219.jpg IMG_20180928_214216.jpg

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
Having kept a few auchenoglanis giraffe cat species, your fish appears to be very similar to most species categorized as a. occidentalis rather than some rarer related species. The growth rate seems rather normal in my experience so no problem there. Enjoy the fish at it's current size and continued rate of growth. Want a faster growing giraffe cat? Be careful what you wish for, as they will grow quite large, like to 24" and beyond in 2 or 3 years or so.
Your fish is a thing of beauty!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I agree with what Kirk said.

Having kept a few auchenoglanis giraffe cat species, your fish appears to be very similar to most species categorized as a. occidentalis rather than some rarer related species...
How sure are you? The spots seem too ordered and running perfectly horizontally. Also too round. To my eye.

Reactions: CANAMONSTER
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store