Glass thickness/supply questions for 500G Arowana tank

PAND3MIC

Feeder Fish
Jul 26, 2017
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I am highly interested in building a 500 gallon tank for an Asian Arowana. I have a few general questions.

1. If I were to build a tank that was 96" x 41" x 30" totalling 498 gallons, would 1/2" or 5/8" be better? In the sense that 5/8" might be unnecessarily thick.

2. What is the best type of glass to use on a tank of this size? There is a large debate over this, the answer isn't clear.

3. Where do you all get glass? I asked a local supplier about getting a 5/8" thick piece of tempered glass that was 96" x 41", and they said I was looking at a $5000 piece of glass. Over 10 grand for 2 paines seems pretty ridiculous. Surely I can find an online dealer that doesn't charge such ridiculous prices. I could make a solid granite tank cheaper.

4. Is there a tank builder that will finance a tank this size for reasonable rates, preferably based out of Texas or somewhere in the southern US?

5.Could any tank builders tell me what that would cost them in materials to make a tank this size? Just a ballpark answer, I don't expect an exact amount.

6. Is 30" high enough room for an Asian Arowana to ascend/descend without problems? Should I try going a little taller?

Any and all help will be appreciated. I just want a good idea as to how much this will cost, I want the tank badly but quite frankly I don't know where to start.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Even a nice custom built tank would cost you around the same ( if not less) than what that company wanted for one piece of glass. If you are looking for cheap, go the plywood route with a piece of 1/2 inch glass. Also where are you from? Asain aros are highly illegal in the United States currently, and the fines are immense for owning one. But if you do not live in the US count me as envious because I have always wished I could own an Asian aro

PAND3MIC

Feeder Fish
Jul 26, 2017
Even a nice custom built tank would cost you areound the same as what that company wanted for one piece of glass. If you are looking for cheap, go the plywood route with a piece of 1/2 inch glass. Also where are you from? Asain aros are highly illegal in the United States currently, and the fines are immense for owning one. But if you do not live in the US count me as envious because I have always wished I could own an Asian aro
I live in Texas. It is true they are illegal, but they are legally obtainable with the proper paperwork and a microchip from the licensed breeder you purchase the fish from. I found that out when I saw one in a tank at a LFS. I asked them about it and they said it was reserved for someone and I brought up the fact that they're illegal to own because they're endangered and that is what they told me. I have also looked into ordering them from various suppliers.

Could you elaborate on the "plywood route"? Possibly with pictures?

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
I live in Texas. It is true they are illegal, but they are legally obtainable with the proper paperwork and a microchip from the licensed breeder you purchase the fish from. I found that out when I saw one in a tank at a LFS. I asked them about it and they said it was reserved for someone and I brought up the fact that they're illegal to own because they're endangered and that is what they told me. I have also looked into ordering them from various suppliers.

Could you elaborate on the "plywood route"? Possibly with pictures?
While that may be true, I have also looked into owning one and you have to pay for outrageous things like people coming to inspect your tank and setup 2 times a year and other fees in the 1000s of dollar range which will quickly add up to much more than the cost of the fish and tank, not saying it isn't doable, but very, very expensive. As for plywood tanks, the diy section on this forum is a wealth of knowledge in pictures and write ups so I would advise you start there. I would say just check out my build thread over there which is similar to what you want, but other members have much more information if you just take your time to look through and find what you are looking for.

Reactions: PAND3MIC

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
You don't need 3/4" tempered glass for the tank. 3/4" plate glass will work just fine. (In fact, 3/4" is still a tad too thick and 17 mm would be the optimal choice.)

Ask them for non tempered and you'll probably see the price plummet. When ever someone asks for something totally out of the norm that requires special handing and possibly special tools, it will indeed often be super expensive.

One reason is because it really costs more. I found quotes of tempered glass running triple or more over the cost of plate glass.

But the other reason is that probably no one asks for 8 foot panels of 3/4" tempered glass. So they may have made up a number to be sure that if they run in to problems, they won't lose money on the job. Portions of a broken panel of 8 foot plate can be salvaged which is unlikely with tempered.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
My shower was made out of 1/2" tempered AND low iron glass. The main panels are 2x 84x36", then at least that much more in the other side panels.

The whole thing was $3,000...but that is installed.

Go talk to your local custom shower guys :)

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Lots of info in the DIY section. Check out DIfish's build thread as he has done a great job of outlining costs.

The other thing you need to consider about an asian arrowana is that because they are illegal without special permits that are insanely expensive and impossible to get, it has create a big market for fraud. There are people selling fish claiming to be asian arrowana with the required permits but its just a sham.

Reactions: PAND3MIC

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Personally I would go with 3/4 non tempered and I libe in canada sp thongs are more expensive but 5g a panel is rediculous.
Me personally I would look for an old 220 and a 180 (1/2 glass) and build an 8x4x2 or 8x6x2 if you have space l×w×h 24 inch is high enough for Asian aro. Plywood bottom tank glass sides.
Jeez I need to spell check

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store