Glass Thickness - tempered vs plate

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Hoping some tank builders could weigh in on this as I couldn't find my answer in the stickies. I'm currently constructing my 10x4' plywood aquarium. Plan is to go 36" tall for the viewing window. Glass will be supported by 2 layers of .75" plywood on the inside and externally braced with 2x( 2x4s) on all sides.

Plan was to go 3/4" but have gotten a quote on 1/2" tempered that is about half the price. I know tempered is stronger but was wondering if the 1/2" tempered sufficient at this height?

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Hoping some tank builders could weigh in on this as I couldn't find my answer in the stickies. I'm currently constructing my 9x4' ID plywood aquarium. Plan is to go 36" tall for the viewing window. Glass will be supported by 2 layers of .75" plywood on the inside and externally braced with 2x( 2x4s) on all sides.

Plan was to go 3/4" but have gotten a quote on 1/2" tempered that is about half the price. I know tempered is stronger but was wondering if the 1/2" tempered sufficient at this height?
Looks like I may have found my answer and it doesnt appear tempered is the way to go. Any concerns with 3/4" and my build? Looking at some of ththe calculators I might drop the height of the viewing window down a bit for increased safety.

yzf450motoxrider

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
CT
D Dovii kid Where did you get the quote from? Im curious because when i was looking to do something like this the local quotes i got were super high and glass cages was way cheaper all of them even with shipping?

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
D Dovii kid Where did you get the quote from? Im curious because when i was looking to do something like this the local quotes i got were super high and glass cages was way cheaper all of them even with shipping?
Pretty much called all the local glass shops on central CT. Was quoted anywhere from 1,000 - 1,300. Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at glasscages.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I would stick with 3/4".

Reactions: Dovii kid
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com