Going to get 4 12inch clown loaches

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
No way to get 12” in 4 years. If they can grow that fast, big CL won’t cost a fortune.

CL grow about an inch a year under the best condition. My well fed CL were under 9” in 8 - 9 years.
No way to get 12” in 4 years. If they can grow that fast, big CL won’t cost a fortune.

CL grow about an inch a year under the best condition. My well fed CL were under 9” in 8 - 9 years.
Yes some will and there are a few members on here who have. I’ve had many 2-3inch loaches grow a easy 3inches in one year and some just grow a inch or two for the first 2-3years. There were a few big clowns in Cali that a member had for sale that grew fast like I mentioned... stickyrice bought them if you feel like looking to see from who. So just because you’ve never had a clown grow fast doesn’t mean it can’t be done lol. I’ve sold many normal clowns off that I’ve grown up to the 6 inch mark fast.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
What you should be thinking of is why some grow fast and some do not instead of just thinking it can’t be done cause yours grew slow. Did you buy yours as a fresh 1-3 incher or were they some just sitting at the store nice and fed just enough till they sold. Alot of my fastest growers were from fresh batches.

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Mine grew 1/2 inch per year on average.

Started with the tiniest skinniest ones we are all familiar with.

Money must have been tight. I wouldn't do that again because they looked starved and got whitespot.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have grown dozens of CL over decades and never observed that growth rate. Price of big CL is high and rarely available due to slow growth rate. A ft long CL is an extreme rarity and can sell for $100 or more. If there is a magic way to grow out small CL to big CL in shot time, it’s money making endeavor because no one else can do it.

Btw, chicken farms can grow chicken from eggs to supermarket size in 3 months, there may be hormone magic that can grow CL fast.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
I have grown dozens of CL over decades and never observed that growth rate. Price of big CL is high and rarely available due to slow growth rate. A ft long CL is an extreme rarity and can sell for $100 or more. If there is a magic way to grow out small CL to big CL in shot time, it’s money making endeavor because no one else can do it.

Btw, chicken farms can grow chicken from eggs to supermarket size in 3 months, there may be hormone magic that can grow CL fast.
Well since you can’t grow one fast your saying it’s impossible lol. So you’ve never had any clowns grow fast like I’ve mentioned? If this is the case then maybe it’s something with your water,maybe food, water change schedule, tank size, etc. Don’t know anyone using hormones to get good growth rate either. I know a good amount of loach keepers who have had some clowns grow real fast to the 6-7inch mark then slow right down. This is just like people saying Indo dats grow slow and take forever to get big but yet I’ve known plenty who’ve grown them up to 18inches in 3years from babies. You can believe what you want and think your growing method is sound but what you should be wondering is why some people get some that grow faster then you instead of thinking it’s impossible. As for the prices of clown... people don’t always like growing out fish. Instant gratification on a big loach is what they pay for and salers know this so they get people to pay if they want them lol. I got a 7-8inch symmetrical puzzle piece clown $2000 if someone really wants it lol.... they’ll pay if they want it too regardless how it’s priced high lol

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
12" in 4 years? LMAO, that's funny. I've seen and owned clown loaches that grew slow, and those that have grown fast, and I have seen home grown clown loaches in person far larger than anything ever posted here on MFK - but 12" in 4 years? Only in somebodies dreams ....

Last edited:
Reactions: derunren

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
12" in 4 years? LMAO, that's funny. I've seen and owned clown loaches that grew slow, and those that have grown fast, and I have seen home grown clown loaches in person far larger than anything ever posted here on MFK - but 12" in 4 years? Only in somebodies dreams ....
If any members found a way to do it they probably wouldn’t even bother talking about since they would be told their lying anyway by people who wouldn’t want to hear how it’s possible.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I would love to know how it's possible. Maybe a human could go from baby to adult in 10 years? Just think of all the possibilities.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store