Golden silver shark???

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Is there such a thing as a golden silver shark, as in a golden variety of the silver shark, or Bala shark?

They have some juveniles at my LFS, and they do look like Bala sharks but not a hint of silver or black on them, just all gold, pretty bland actually.

According to the guy at the LFS they have been bred that way and I must say I have to agree with him when he said they've ruined a beautiful fish by breeding this variety.

I am very sceptical that they are a true golden Bala. I can't find anything on line about golden Bala sharks.

Anybody heard of breeders coming up with this oddball variety?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Without a picture I can't be sure, but I suspect he may be mixing up bala sharks with roseline sharks. Roseline sharks have a gold variety with very little of any other color, so it's not inconceivable for them to have been bred for all gold.

1642873328112.png

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Is there such a thing as a golden silver shark, as in a golden variety of the silver shark, or Bala shark?

They have some juveniles at my LFS, and they do look like Bala sharks but not a hint of silver or black on them, just all gold, pretty bland actually.

According to the guy at the LFS they have been bred that way and I must say I have to agree with him when he said they've ruined a beautiful fish by breeding this variety.

I am very sceptical that they are a true golden Bala. I can't find anything on line about golden Bala sharks.

Anybody heard of breeders coming up with this oddball variety?
I've never heard of golden silver shark.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
When I went in earlier I left my phone in the car, I wish I hadn't now, lol.

I suspect there's no such thing, typical LFS employee spouting off. Usually they have the fancy name of the fish wrote at the side of the common name, which would have been Balantiocheilos Melanopterus, but in this case it just said "golden silver shark", which I thought suspicious.

Next time I go, and if they still have some, I'll take pictures to see if someone can ID them.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Could have been black sharks or rainbow/red tail sharks, both have albino forms. Subdominant ones that I’ve seen in pet shops always had clear fins.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
  • Haha
Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store