MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Is there such a thing as a golden silver shark, as in a golden variety of the silver shark, or Bala shark?

They have some juveniles at my LFS, and they do look like Bala sharks but not a hint of silver or black on them, just all gold, pretty bland actually.

According to the guy at the LFS they have been bred that way and I must say I have to agree with him when he said they've ruined a beautiful fish by breeding this variety.

I am very sceptical that they are a true golden Bala. I can't find anything on line about golden Bala sharks.

Anybody heard of breeders coming up with this oddball variety?
What type of "gold"? Like yellow or maybe a gold tint similar to a gold clown knife?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Breeding golden varieties of various species isn't new in the hobby. In this thread we have had a few examples, golden Dennison barb and yellow tinfoil barb to name but a few.

I'm very familiar with standard balas, I have five. The fish I saw in my LFS were tiny juvenile balas, the shape, the big eyes, the fins, everything pointed to them being Bala sharks.....but they were gold!!!

The guy said they were indeed a golden variety of the common Bala, and that they'd grow just as big. I tried to picture a 12" version of this fish, in gold, and was immediately put off. I once had a yellow tinfoil barb and to be honest I thought it was very blah. Golden fish aren't my thing.

My LFS quite often gets oddball fish in that aren't that common in the hobby, maybe this is just another example of them looking for something different.

The fact that there's nothing on line, or that any of you guys have heard of them makes me wonder whether they are a totally new thing. Maybe in a few years we'll see more comments on here regarding golden Bala sharks.

Watch this space.....

Reactions: Deadeye

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I breed bala sharks, cigar sharks, diamond barbs, Denison and tinfoil barbs etc including albino. However, I haven't been able to produce golden morphs, even using golden morph stock despite them being massed produced now. I suspect it's a sex linked trait.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I breed bala sharks, cigar sharks, diamond barbs, Denison and tinfoil barbs etc including albino. However, I haven't been able to produce golden morphs, even using golden morph stock despite them being massed produced now. I suspect it's a sex linked trait.
You're the guy who also breeds clown loaches I believe, and from a previous thread of mine regarding beardless barbs, you mentioned you breed those too?

With what you've just mentioned now, that is quite an assortment of notoriously difficult fish to breed in home aquaria. I think I can speak for almost every member on this forum when I say, is it possible you could start a breeding thread and enlighten us on your methods? It would be truly fascinating and educational for us lesser mortals.

Bbuckley

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2021
Untied Kingdom
You're the guy who also breeds clown loaches I believe, and from a previous thread of mine regarding beardless barbs, you mentioned you breed those too?

With what you've just mentioned now, that is quite an assortment of notoriously difficult fish to breed in home aquaria. I think I can speak for almost every member on this forum when I say, is it possible you could start a breeding thread and enlighten us on your methods? It would be truly fascinating and educational for us lesser mortals.
Completely agree on this ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store