Goonch

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
So I'm may get this fish in the picture by the end of the week. Just not sure which species this is I believe it looks bagrius bagrius hope I got that right but I'm no goonch expert. Please feel free to chime in. Thanks

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I can't help but that is a gorgeous goonch. Looks big too

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Yes he's nice but I'm actually on the fence on whether or not to get this fish. He's about 16in and guy is offering a insane deal on him. Ugh decisions lol

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Maybe the question you have to ask yourself is, can you keep it for life?

Swflfisheries

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2016
Looks more indochina then B. Bagarius and that 350 gallon tank depending on the footprint may only house that fish for another 6 months to a year depending on his growth then a custom tank or pond will be absolutely necessary just something to think about before purchasing

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
Looks more indochina then B. Bagarius and that 350 gallon tank depending on the footprint may only house that fish for another 6 months to a year depending on his growth then a custom tank or pond will be absolutely necessary just something to think about before purchasing
Well space is available I have a pond as well with a few large fish already in. But I guess I'm more so concerned because of this sudden death stuff I've read on here with goonch and how some prefer cooler temps. Cooler temps would not be a issue for the 350 but the pond it would. Also I don't about temperament of the fish in general. I never been a big goonch fan but for 80 dollars on a fish this size it got my attention. I'm gonna find out more info such as temp and feeding from owner today.

Swflfisheries

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2016
I've owned my rutilus now for about 6-7 months and I've missed water changes and thrown him from one tank to another with no acclimation and never had even the slightest hiccup (not saying do this by any means) as far as temp goes he's always been in 75 degree Fahrenheit or cooler (lowest was in the 40s or 50s) with good current. The hardiness of these fish was definitely over thought in the beginning IMO and most owners I've seen lately have had no issues with keeping them. As far as feeding goes they can be stubborn whenever I move mine to a new tank or rearrange his tank he typically won't eat for a week or so but for 80 dollars at that size he would already be on the way to my house! if you decide to pass him up please send me the contact info for him lol.. good luck

herman moorr

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2016
I've owned my rutilus now for about 6-7 months and I've missed water changes and thrown him from one tank to another with no acclimation and never had even the slightest hiccup (not saying do this by any means) as far as temp goes he's always been in 75 degree Fahrenheit or cooler (lowest was in the 40s or 50s) with good current. The hardiness of these fish was definitely over thought in the beginning IMO and most owners I've seen lately have had no issues with keeping them. As far as feeding goes they can be stubborn whenever I move mine to a new tank or rearrange his tank he typically won't eat for a week or so but for 80 dollars at that size he would already be on the way to my house! if you decide to pass him up please send me the contact info for him lol.. good luck
Good to know do you keep other fish with yours? Spoke with seller today and he's had this fish for 3-4 monthes and has kept him at 78 degrees. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get him after work. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Swflfisheries
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store