got my gars in a 135 is this big enough for them for a while??

pred tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2019
well had them for about 6 months. PlAN ON GETTING A 350 OR 300 IN A 2 YEARS. will me keeping them in this 135 stunt there gowth should i just get rig of them thanks.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
If thats the best you can do then thats the best you can do. They'll outgrow it quickly--i'd say less than a year. Try to get that bigger tank sooner! In the meantime focus on keeping water quality stellar, maybe minimize decor in the tank once the fish get larger so they have the most room they can get.

Are those gator gars or spotted gars? I cant tell from the video.

Nice looking severum btw.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
That is a SOLID Severum man, I was PLANNING on growing a gator gar in a 75 then realeasing him into a huge lake but idk I’ll have to see a 135 is a lot bigger u should get rid of get a bigger tank when there around 1 1/2 feet

pred tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2019
If thats the best you can do then thats the best you can do. They'll outgrow it quickly--i'd say less than a year. Try to get that bigger tank sooner! In the meantime focus on keeping water quality stellar, maybe minimize decor in the tank once the fish get larger so they have the most room they can get.

Are those gator gars or spotted gars? I cant tell from the video.

Nice looking severum btw.
hey thanks yeah i think i decided might get rid of them . The sevrum gets along with them i keep the water really clean i do a few water changes a week and have 3 canister filters plus a hob and a small box filter .

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
hey thanks yeah i think i decided might get rid of them . The sevrum gets along with them i keep the water really clean i do a few water changes a week and have 3 canister filters plus a hob and a small box filter .
Are u gonna sell them? Realease them? Or give them away?

pred tank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2019
That is a SOLID Severum man, I was PLANNING on growing a gator gar in a 75 then realeasing him into a huge lake but idk I’ll have to see a 135 is a lot bigger u should get rid of get a bigger tank when there around 1 1/2 feet
thanks man yeah he seems better looking then a lot of sevrums . I try to feed him a diverse diet

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Are u gonna sell them? Realease them? Or give them away?
Just a friendly fyi--releasing captive fish back into the wild is generally considered to be the gravest of sins in this hobby. Carelessness by keepers in releasing non native or otherwise invasive fish has resulted in some catastrophic consequences for our hobby. From decimating local populations of native fauna all over the world to paving the way for stringent restrictions on what species we are allowed to keep.

Most keepers (all of them in this community) will recommend euthanizing your fish before ever even considering releasing them into the wild.

Not to mention it is illegal in many localities and if caught can land you a stiff fine or possible lockup.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va

I see. Good news is i think you have some time before they outgrow your tank to find a suitable home for them.

Reactions: Nilsafeller

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Very rare do I see a keeper that is willing to give his fish the best life possible even if it’s not with himself. Kudos to you, sir. I wish more people were like you.

I do hope something happens to allow you to find a decent growout to give you more time with them, however. Always check craigslist ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store