Got My New Tank!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Anything to worry about? Or just normal? There are windows in this room but the tank is far enough away it's always in the shade, never any green algae. Just don't remember this ever happening on my 29 gallon previously.....but it was in a dark hallway with absolutely zero windows anywhere close.
Sounds totally normal to me - it happens to all my tanks at varying rates. Keep cleaning like you do and there’s nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Kustrud

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Another thing too, I've tested my water daily the last couple of weeks with API Master kit. The test results have been the same all week really, with either zero or very low nitrates. Last water change was I believe 1 week ago. Are my nitrates just really low? Anything to be concerned about here? Ammonia and Nitrite have never shown anything above zero, just figured nitrates would go higher than this in 1 week. I tested nitrates 3 times today to confirm, shaking the heck out of the bottles and the tube longer than stated in instructions to be safe. I moved the Nitrate bottle in 3 different positions trying to show it the best possible way. Any thoughts? I believe it does look darker than "0." Should I order a new kit just to be safe? I'll tape the bottle to a Sawzall blade first to really shake it up and try again. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Same result after shaking the bottle and the tube with this!

Again, Ammonia and Nitrite always zero....

Should I skip my water change today and test again in a few days to confirm Nitrates are rising?

Stumped....

4.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It doesn’t look expired yet - I’d double check that you’re using the nitrate and not nitrite bottle for one of them (I’ve almost made that mistake a few times).
At the moment, the fish are still small. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just aren’t producing enough waste to make a dent. Obviously when they grow it will get worse so keep an eye on things.

Reactions: Kustrud

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Kit expires December of 2025. Should I skip m water change this week and test in a few days to confirm Nitrates are rising?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I wouldn’t change your water change rate - it’s only a good thing that you aren’t getting any nitrate readings imo.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
I feel like I get a slight bacterial bloom after a water change. Did my WC yesterday, probably changed about 60% of the water……tank gets a little cloudy after and it’s not from stirring substrate up. Almost gets worse over the next couple hours. The next morning - crystal clear. Normal??

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s possible - I’ve noticed my tanks can get cloudy after a w/c as well. Totally normal as long as the fish are acting normal.

Kustrud

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2023
Ok 10-4! Yeah fish are fine and it’s completely clear this AM, just noticed this in last few water changes which are my first water changes on this large-to-me tank really.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store