Gouramis question

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Quick question, do these guys get diseases such as ick, easily? I've been doing daily water changes and mine just got ick
Yes they are susceptible like most other fish species of Ich and other diseases. What was the reason for the daily water changes?

Reactions: esoxlucius

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I thought dwarf gouramis were more susceptible no?
Not necessarily to ich, but to iridovirus (I think that’s right), I have had a few dwarf gouramis over the years, I have lost every one of them to it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I thought dwarf gouramis were more susceptible no?
Your probably right but most fish put in conditions for Ich will become infected. The reason I asked why OP was doing daily water changes. Possibly that stressed the Gourami especially if there was fluctuation of temperature of water being changed..

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Ich is usually most prevalent in fish with a reduced immune response, with stress being the main cause. There is something not right with your set up, whether it's water quality, poor diet, bullying from other fish etc. Like tlindsey tlindsey , i'm a little curious why you've been doing daily water changes? Is it because you've encountered parameter problems and you're trying to fix them? This could be the reason behind the stress which is leaving your fish vulnerable.

Reactions: tlindsey

Astoria

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2021
USA
www.youtube.com
Yes they are susceptible like most other fish species of Ich and other diseases. What was the reason for the daily water changes?
My cichlids are juvis and my drift wood is staining the water (sap) so I do lots of water changes. I bought a thermometer to help keep the temperature on point and haven't done a water change with it yet. I just got it it in the mail and it should help

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My cichlids are juvis and my drift wood is staining the water (sap) so I do lots of water changes. I bought a thermometer to help keep the temperature on point and haven't done a water change with it yet. I just got it it in the mail and it should help
If you haven't observed the Cichlid harassing the Gourami I will state the water change temperature caused Gourami to stress. I myself don't use a thermometer during water changes but get pretty close with touch of water removed and new water. I've been using this method for yrs lol.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
My personal experience with gourmis is I've never had luck with the dwarf variety. Sudden deaths with them, they'd just waste away no matter what I tried, or they'd bloat and I couldn't get them out of it. Any of them can suffer from bloat if you're not careful with your foods and feedings given gourami are such voracious eaters. Feeding them foods with low quality ingredients lists was the cause of most of the problems I've had, until I smartened up a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store