GRASS PICKEREL

Mike11694

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
What is the average growth rate for grass pickerel? A friend gave me two 3" grass pickerel and I'm curious how much they should grow. They are eating guppies so I plan on keeping the tank stocked so they have as much as they need to eat.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
6 months from now they'll be about 8 inches give or take. Then they'll slowly grow to full size. Can he get any more? I've been trying to get some grass pickerel. I have some Redfin and can get chain pickerel but haven't been able to find any grass recently.

Mike11694

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2016
Thanks for advice. I'll check with him and sent you a message if he can get more. Where are you located? I don't think he will ship though.

6 months from now they'll be about 8 inches give or take. Then they'll slowly grow to full size. Can he get any more? I've been trying to get some grass pickerel. I have some Redfin and can get chain pickerel but haven't been able to find any grass recently.

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
Thanks for advice. I'll check with him and sent you a message if he can get more. Where are you located? I don't think he will ship though.
Yea they're great fish. A little advice when you start giving them frozen fish in my experience it goes along way to do it correctly the first time. Don't feed them for maybe 5 days and give them a fish that's strong like tilapia where the meat doesent break up and expand when they eat it. And make sure it's really thin. For me when I first gave them frozen fish it was a little to big and they hit it but never swallowed and just chewed it for a minute and spit up the chewed up fish. Then they didn't like to take it anymore for awhile. They're difficult to transition one of them would take the pieces by just throwing them in. the other I strung fishing line threw it and had to dance it in front of him and when he would strike it would slide off. Also I'm in Illinois.

Reactions: tlindsey

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
They can be wild caught in Illinois. I was out yesterday with minnow seines and I caught about a dozen ranging from 3" to 8-9".

PatrickMW36

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
Chicago
They can be wild caught in Illinois. I was out yesterday with minnow seines and I caught about a dozen ranging from 3" to 8-9".
Yea I know they can. I grew up in Chicago my whole life so most of my fishing has been out of state. But I recently moved to Rockford so I've been fishing local more. Where were you fishing?

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
I was fishing in Princeton. If I had known you were after some I could have kept some for you. I don't keep them anymore because are so hard to get off of live food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store