gravel in a bichir tank?

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
do you guys think it would be a good idea to put gravel in a tank with bichirs? i've got a 16" congicus and a 15" endlicheri in with a motoro stingray and a peacock bass in a 180 gal and i'm planning to add gravel in a bare bottom tank.. but i recently heard of some bichirs dying to due gravel being caught in their throats when they feed.. has anyone had this experience with their bichirs?

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
You'd be safer to use sand or fine crushed gravel to avoid problems with ingestion-Anne

Fruitbat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2004
Personally I've always used standard aquarium gravel in my bichir tanks and to this point (after 40+ years of fishkeeping) haven't had any problems. There is no question, however, that bichirs do occasionally ingest gravel while they're feeding and there are well-documented cases of this causing problems. I'm still going to stick with gravel substrate, however.

-Joe

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005

i couldn't find sand with the color i like here, so i'll probably look for fine/small granuled gravel instead..

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I like fine grade gravel or coarse sand, it even works for burrowers.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I have smallish gravel in my 180 that has 3 bichirs. They're still juvies so when they bite on a pice of gravel they just spit it out.

I've been contimplating removing the gravel before they get to adult hood to prevent any mishaps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store