MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
21-30%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Any idea what happened to my GT top fin.holes suddenly appeared on fins and few more spots appeared on other parts. It seems that the holes appeared after having those spots. Could it be infection? Have started treating using Melafix and currently on the 6th day however does not see any improvement. GT looks fine and eating as usual. Any idea what type of infection or disease any suggestion on how to treat it. ThanksIMG_20230326_143601.jpgIMG_20230401_235844.jpg

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
Any tankmates that could have injured it? If the result of a bacterial infection, you will want something stronger than melafix (which is basically useless) such as kanaplex.

ewerk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
Welcome to the forum!
Any tankmates that could have injured it? If the result of a bacterial infection, you will want something stronger than melafix (which is basically useless) such as kanaplex.
Hi..My GT doesnt have tankmates.A loner since i got him..will try kanaplex if still not showing improvement.Thanks for the suggestion

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
May I say that he is quite the stunner !

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Any sharp rocks he could have injured himself on?

scalareson

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2022
Anchorage, Alaska
Your GT is a beauty. It could likely be bacterial infection and go with an actual antibiotic, like kanaplex, fin and body cure, or others.
A small bit mixed into food with a little tank water for a week or so always clears up fin rot for me, also practically harmless to the fish so why not.

ewerk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
Just an update on my GT. Had tried kanaplex and completed required treatment and it has been a week now however it seems that the hole on the fins is not getting any better. Compore it from the initial pics. Sadly He's getting more holes on his fins. He's eating well, always asking for food and does not show in abnormalily except for the fins issue. Notice the translucent part on the fins. This part will turn into holes as how the other holes occured. Any idea what is the issue or suggestion. Might try to perform methylene blue dip next

Attachments

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Something is wrong with your water. Not only are the holes in the fins getting worse. He now has open HITH sores on his face.

IMG_20230520_132835-1.jpg
Your pic blown up some to see what I am talking about.

How are you testing your water? Strip test or liquid test kit? Are they expired?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me, a 30% water change per week is very wimpy, and will allow deleterious material to compound over time, a 30% water change, allows 70% of the bad stuff to remain.
And each week that bad stuff gets soupier and soupier.
And meds are simply band aids that don't get at the source or root of the problem.
I would double, preferably triple your water change schedule and observe the result.
Especially if the schedule now, is the same as when the GT was a juvie.
As fish grow, their water change schedule also needs to be upgraded and grow along with them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store