Green terror not growing

Ctdurham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Scotland
Hi aye bought my green terror about a year ago from a private seller but he has never growing from the day aye got him and dont no the size of tank he came from but my tank is big enough for him he eats fine just has not growing in a year any advice

Screenshot_20190909-211241_Gallery.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What are its tank mates?
It looks like there are Parachromis and some other large cichlids in the tank.
These could be preventing it from getting enough food.
Also large alpha cichlids can put out growth inhibiting hormones that prevent other lesser pecking order species from growing (like the G.T.).
These hormones can only be removed with large frequent water changes.
How big is the tank?
The smaller the tank the faster these hormones build up, so the more water changes are needed..

Ctdurham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Scotland
Yeah I have a pair of jags pair of Oscar's and Dempsey and arowana and pike cichlid there were not far of his size when aye got him he eats plenty prawns pellets he defo gets enough food aye make sure I have heard about dwarfism is this a thing plus I have a 1000 litre 8 foot tank ran with 2 fx6 filters so dont think it's the tank size plus aye do 450 lite water changes weekly any other ideas getting worried about his size dont want one of other fish to eat him been ok so far no signs of aggression

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/004484869390024S
Certain environmental factors such as water temperature and food supply have an obvious and major influence on growth rate and food conversion efficiency but are not necessarily stressful in themselves. Other factors such as poor water quality, physical disturbance and social domination of one fish by another can act as powerful environmental stresses, thereby reducing the performance of the fish. This paper identifies some of the hormonal pathways linking deleterious environmental conditions to growth processes in fish and considers the implications of these pathways for aquaculture. It is suggested that the selection for broodstock of fish with a reduced cortisol response to common aquacultural stresses would have benefits for disease resistance, reproductive performance and growth rate.
Also, it doesn't have to be just the circumstances in your current tank affecting growth. Age of the fish, or history in its previous tank may be factors also.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I agree with Rocksor Rocksor
It looks female and females grow slower and tend to stay smaller. I have a silver saum female and she is only 5-6in maybe. And I’ve had her for a year and five months. If I remember right she was at or close to 3” when I got her.

Reactions: neutrino

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
What's its current size and do you know the approximate age when you got it? True, from a certain point onward male growth will be noticeably faster and females end up smaller, but even as a female, if it was a young and juvie sized fish when you got it, you'd normally see some growth over the next year.

Ctdurham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Scotland
What's its current size and do you know the approximate age when you got it? True, from a certain point onward male growth will be noticeably faster and females end up smaller, but even as a female, if it was a young and juvie sized fish when you got it, you'd normally see some growth over the next year.
that's what aye thought she would have grown by now she must he about 6 or 7 cm iam not sure of age when aye got her and didnt see tank she came out of the person met me at his front door with her . But she eats prawns and pellets no problem just the same size from when aye got her last November so been approx 10 months. When aye got her aye put her in quarenteen tank for couple weeks then put her in my big tank for the first few weeks she didnt eat much but now she eats no problem loves prawns. I read about dwarfism is this an actual thing. Just my other fish are getting bigger and not sure if she will be safe mite need to get rid of her thanks for help

Ctdurham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Scotland
I agree with Rocksor Rocksor
It looks female and females grow slower and tend to stay smaller. I have a silver saum female and she is only 5-6in maybe. And I’ve had her for a year and five months. If I remember right she was at or close to 3” when I got her.
I've had her for 10 months now and never grown she didnt eat much at first when aye got her but now she eats no problem. Just getting worried as my other fish getting big they have not shown any signs of aggression to her atoll but just getting worried aye have read about dwarfism is this a thing. Thanks for help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store