Green Terrors not eating pellets

Thatdude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
New York
Hey guys,

First post on the Forum. Hope to be a bigger part in the future.

I have 3 green terrors that previously were fed worms, shrimp, tetra color granules and flakes. I wanted to start feeding Hikari pellets as their staple so I bough a pack last week. I fed them nothing but the pellets for two days and they rejected it. Gave them some brine shrimp and then what they usually eat the next day and continued with the pellets for 5 days. The pellets have been piling up and had to do a large water change because of the protein build up (bubbles in the surface.) They simply ignore the pellets or swallow them and spit them back out.

What should I do to get them eating the pellets? Don't want to starve them either.

Thatdude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
New York
The brine shrimp is always live. The other shrimp is dry.

The poop is really white, thin and now they refuse to eat anything. Even what they used to like...

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
Have you added any new fish to the tank?

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
You don't have to necessarily starve them, just don't feed them for 3-4 days, and they should accept the pellets. They won't suffer from not eating for 3-4 days, but they will be hungry. If that doesn't work you can dip the pellets in garlic extract.

soupy1977

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Carmel, In
White stringy poo is usually a sign of parasites in fish. If it were my tank I'd treat it soon and perhaps turn the heater up to about 80. Also quit feeding during medication, and leaving the lights off will reduce their stress level. Good luck.
BTW welcome to MFK!

volcomstone

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2006
SoCal
Thatdude;3392138; said:
The brine shrimp is always live. The other shrimp is dry.

The poop is really white, thin and now they refuse to eat anything. Even what they used to like...
Welcome to MFK!

Is their poop stringy as well? As indicated by soupy, it looks like they may have a case of internal parasites. How are your water parameters? Everything soupy said is what I would recommend...I would treat your water quickly w/ Prazi-Pro or Jungle Parasite Clear. Good luck and keep us posted!

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
agree with the above, I'd get some treatment for parasites going, as that is what the symptoms indicate. I'd try prazi-pro at least.

Thatdude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2009
New York
I have not added any new fish. I just added some quick cure and turned the lights off. I don't have any garlic extract, but it sounds like something that can be DIY. Can I make my own garlic extract at home (maybe mash some garlic and dilute in water?) or is it something with a generic name that goes beyond what it's name suggest?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store