Green with anger :(

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I have a 55gal with various rainbows in it...This tank has been set up for about 6 years now, and the rainbows are its new inhabitants, they have been in there for about 8 months now, I decided to put live plants in, using a substraite for them, its caribsea eco-complete planted aquarium sub. I have also changed over the single strip ights to twin tubes and put plant bulbs in them. All but a couple of the plants have survived, and now my tank glass is really thick with algae...I can't scrape it fast enough! And my plecos can't even keep up...I was woudering how the heck can I get this to stop growing all over everything? The plants that are still in there have a green film all over them, and its choking them out! HELP!!! What can I do to get rid of this problem???
Thank you in advance for your help, I will be leaving in a few, I will check to see if you guys out there have a soloution for me!
Thanks guys!!!
Jen

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
jenBLKAROWANA said:
I have a 55gal with various rainbows in it...This tank has been set up for about 6 years now, and the rainbows are its new inhabitants, they have been in there for about 8 months now, I decided to put live plants in, using a substraite for them, its caribsea eco-complete planted aquarium sub. I have also changed over the single strip ights to twin tubes and put plant bulbs in them. All but a couple of the plants have survived, and now my tank glass is really thick with algae...I can't scrape it fast enough! And my plecos can't even keep up...I was woudering how the heck can I get this to stop growing all over everything? The plants that are still in there have a green film all over them, and its choking them out! HELP!!! What can I do to get rid of this problem???
Thank you in advance for your help, I will be leaving in a few, I will check to see if you guys out there have a soloution for me!
Thanks guys!!!
Jen
Firstly mate where is your tank situated ? is it near any direct sun light I.E near a window or door? because that is one of the main things that grows algae DIRECT SUNLIGHT.
Also what colour is the algae ? if it's brown and your tank isn't near any direct sunlight it could well be that you have the algae of a newly set up tank and it should only last about a month or so as long as you keep up with regular water changes.
As a LAST RESORT !!! use an anti algae soloution.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
First no matter what follow Dan's advice and make sure your tank does not get direct sun, If this is green algae and very heavy pull out your other plants and gently wipe the down under room temp flowing water, use a clean soft cloth, and set aside. then scrape your glass completely, don't stint on this, vacume your gravel, stir up the water so the algae is suspended and do a 75%-complete water change, change upper level of filter media, and replace plants. It is a hassle but has worked for me. If yuo had smaller fish I'd say add glass shrimp, still might consider wood shrimp. Also check out either lower wattage bulbs, many people od on light for plants, except for shallow submerged/emergent plants many don't need as much as you might think, esp. those from waters deeper than 4' in wild. A dimmer/timer set up is nice to because you can try varying levels of light intensity and duration.

Dargath78

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Planting heavily with fast growers also helps with algae. They out compete the algae for nutrients.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store