Growing Out 7 Juvies

FlyNowPrayLater

Feeder Fish
Nov 22, 2020
Hey guys, I have kept discus for a few years now but I only ever bought 6+ inch adults, I'm trying my hand at growing these 7 Juvies. These are all Uncle Sams Discus and the following is my feed/water change routine along with some pics.
Ok so I feed 4 to 5 times a day, pellets, flake food for the first 3 or 4 feedings and beef heart at night, frozen blood worms occasionally. I change 50 to 70 percent of the water every other day. I have heard and read that growing discus is very difficult. Do you guys have any advice on my routine. The guy at Uncle sams said 25% once or twice a week. has anyone had success growing Juvies? will once a week water changes grow them out or am I on the right track with my routine. Thanks in Advance!
IMG_6853.jpgIMG_6837.jpgIMG_6843.jpgIMG_6849.jpg

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You're on the right track for sure, lots of food, lots of clean water. I would skip the beefheart, it significantly shortens the lifespan of the fish.

And welcome to MFK!

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I'd make sure I only fed beefheart on water change days as any leftover can foul your water quickly. Your water change schedule sounds good for juvies, you can scale it back some in a few months when your fish are adult size. Try to mix in some freeze dried foods - freeze dried blaxkworms & brine shrimp cubes are the best way to go. You can stick them to the glass and the discus will peck them off

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I’m with Hendre Hendre skip the beef heart there are so many high quality prepared foods that you could feed instead. As well as frozen brine shrimp or blood worms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store