Growing up blue

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So I am going to start this thread for myself.

I’m going to (hopefully) raise three EBJDs to a decent size, choose a male to keep and sell the other two EBJDs. Gosh that’s going to be a difficult decision when the time comes.

Upon choosing my keeper, I am going to purchase some regular JDs and hope for a female.

Once I have a male and female I will try to breed them and see where I go from there.

To be honest that list alone seems like a long list.

In the meantime here is my tank info:

The tank is a 75g tank, currently with live plants. There is thin mixture of sand (believed to be coral sand and some kind of black sand). My tank temperature is kept between 82-84 degrees. I haven’t been keeping track of my water changes to know exactly how frequently I change the water but I want to say I change between 50-75% weekly or bi-weekly. There is 2 HOB filters, aqua clear 150’s.

Current stock:

3 EBJDs, one almost certain male, one suspect female, and one I hope is a male.
3 guppies, 1 male, 2 females.

Yes I know the guppies will become food, but right now they are the same size as the EBJDs. I might set up a breeding tank for the guppies to provide treats to the JDs, but up in the air about this right now. Most likely not.

Feeding currently is mysis shrimp and brine shrimp 2-4 times a day, they readily eat both of these foods but will not touch the pellet foods, I’ve tried crushed omega one pellets, NLS, flakes, algae wafers, and another green pellet. All turned their noses up at the pellet food. So hopefully with time they will accept more types of food.

They are very active and eat like little piggies.

As all the fish in this tank are new additions I am treating with one round of parasite guard, then one round of prazipro as preventative treatments.

Below I will post a picture of the current tank, and the three baby blues. Each fish is distinguishable for myself, there’s the almost certain male that looks like a bulldog. There’s the one I am hoping is a male, he has two rows of spots on his anal fin. Then there is the suspected female who has one row of spots on the anal fin.

Over the course of their growth I expect to drastically change the tank to suit their needs, currently planted tank into a more rocky habitat, maybe add more sand, and add larger pieces of drift wood.
83A4344C-184E-4F58-BB49-94BACA41722A.jpeg CCC73475-43CC-4CC3-A38F-A4D7FD39E203.jpeg 816B9BF6-3225-459E-934E-FCED9E862A91.jpeg 9137A414-185B-42FF-A247-58F67B68A334.jpeg A9A27C05-B18B-4123-89CA-FA57FF41AE72.jpeg 174A7928-E39F-4D64-B28B-82E481B456C8.jpeg 725C49EA-C30C-40BF-BA30-3436BFEFB1E7.jpeg 5CE7B96C-8383-49F9-9065-E9675F64642D.jpeg 5FB9A6E3-A2CF-49C3-AF57-2256282AC8E0.jpeg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
First time I can recall seeing photos posted upside down... but at least they are visible.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They all show up right side up on my end, might be bc they are phone pictures?
I think it has more to do with the recent issues that members have been having with trying to upload photos to the site.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Unless the OP fixed them, they appear right side up to me- using mobile app

Reactions: Rob909

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Tonight I was watching my fish, and notice there are definitely somethings wrong with all three EBJDs. One was flashing, one was flashing and had a broken sausage link looking poop, and the third one seems to be growthing slower than the other two. The one that is growing slower seems to never have a full belly, when I feed them the other two get little pot bellies but this one doesn’t.

I am going to do three large water changes within the tank for three days in a row approximately 80% starting tomorrow, hoping that should remove the remaining parasite guard in the tank. Then I am going to start the prazipro treatment on Wednesday right after the third large water change and hope that fixes things.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So I have been very lax with taking readings in my fish tank as this tank has been cycled for years and the stocking changed in it a few times. But I had a feeling my cycle was crashing so yesterday i go out and buy a new kit, and bc EBJDs tend to be sensitive, test everything before my water change;

ammonia 0.25, nitrates 0.50, nitrites 0.0, I do a 60% water change, and test everything again;
ammonia 0.50, nitrates 0.0, nitrites 0.0.

Thought it was strange to have higher ammonia after a water change so I tested the tap, ammonia 0.5 - 0.75.

After work I will test everything again and hope for better news.

After the water change I added a carbon filter to remove any remaining parasites guard medication so I can start treatment with prazipro tonight.

Another problem I have been noticing is possibly BGA starting to grow on the substrate, so I open my filter and it’s full!!!! FML, so I am thinking bc my nitrates are low and the tank gets direct sunlight it was the perfect recipe for BGA.

So on top of everything else I went out and bought a curtain rod and black out curtains to prevent the direct sunlight from hitting the tank. All is installed, just have to wait and see.

Even though this tank has been going forever, I feel as though I’m starting with a new tank all over again. My goldfish were so much easier!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store