Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
Growth Inhibitor Hormones and Carbon
This is a repost from another forum.....

I've noticed that while raising both trout and tropical fish fry that there is considerable range in the size and growth rate of fry within the same brood. While it is obvious that some fish feed more agressively than others and would therefore be expected to grow faster there appears to be other factors at work.

If the frequency of water changes and the volume changed is increased then there seems to be less differance in brood size and a generally faster growth rate. This has been explained by the presence of growth inhibiting hormones being released by fry and fingerlings to retard the growth of their siblings and the competition for food as a result. I have found a lot of info on the .net about research into growth hormones in fish but nothing on how to remove them. If your raising fry, you dont want anything to slow them down.

The problem is that when it comes to hormones, a little goes a long way. I read once that animal sensitivity to testosterone works at a level of concentration equal to dissolving a single granule of sugar in an olympic sized swimming pool! To remove the effect of GIH completely, you would need constant water changes.

This brings me to the carbon question: Will good quality activated carbons remove GIH from tank water and if so, how often will it need to be changed?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Potts050;770651; said:
If the frequency of water changes and the volume changed is increased then there seems to be less differance in brood size and a generally faster growth rate.
I think this is the key sentence. No need for carbon!

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
I put a Con fry that appeared to be a slow grower, into its own 10g tank just for fun. he is now an inch. his brothers are like 4 inches & his sisters range from 1 to 3.

Can't imagine that there was hormones in play.. Perhaps loneliness?

I added him into a 55 with 6 or 7 others. he is still only an inch (6 months later), but wants to be the daddy. he is not impressing the ladies...

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Powdered carbon works the best (usually made into blocks and having the water forced thru) (cities use it especially if the water is coming from a community river, to remove hormones placed there by other sources) but use it only after the water is well filtered.

But high volume - frequent water changes would be the cheaper.

A continuous water change system could be prudent if the fry are worth the effort.

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store