growth rate

taniwha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
new zealand
i am considering getting a silver arowana, and was wondering what the growth rate is. i have been told it is up to 1 inch per month. but i have some questions...

does this figure depend on what the aro is fed?

does the fish grow at this rate untill it reaches max size?

does it depend on the size of the tank (though obviously i will need a large one)

thanks a lot.

cuban jey

"tha movement you bastards"
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2005
Tampa Bay
i dont know about 1 in. per month i think they grow faster and yes it depends greatly on how you feed they should eat at least 3 times a day till about 6-7in. then you could cut down if you want also i think as with all monster fish once they hit 1ft the growth tends to slow down and no it will not stay small if kept in a small tank it might just stop eating and slowly die especially arowanas because they are constantly on the move i had mine in a 29 gl he was 3-5 in and id say in a month and a half he shot to 6-7 in now hes in a 150 and easily pushing 9 in. mine loves frozen krill, hikari aro pellets,small feeders and slices of fish

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
taniwha said:
i am considering getting a silver arowana, and was wondering what the growth rate is. i have been told it is up to 1 inch per month. but i have some questions...
From approx 1"-15", silver arrows can grow at 1" a month or more if they are well-provided for.

does this figure depend on what the aro is fed?
definitely. A varied, carnivore-oriented diet would suit it best.
does the fish grow at this rate untill it reaches max size?
Certainly not. The fish grows fastest as a minute juvenile, and progressively grows slower as it matures.
does it depend on the size of the tank (though obviously i will need a large one)
Yes.

taniwha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
new zealand
cool, the growth rate is a bit faster than i was expecting but it is not a problem, im definatly not intending to keep it in a small tank

aquaman4fish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 26, 2005
USA
They do grow very fast. The more you feed them the faster. The larger the tank it is in and a lot of room to swim back and forth, they grow faster. If you intend to keep him for a long time, go ahead and budget for a 200 gallon tank or bigger. Meanwhile, raise him in a 55 gallon until he get 12".

taniwha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
new zealand
aquaman4fish said:
Meanwhile, raise him in a 55 gallon until he get 12".
yeah that is what i am doing, the guy at my LFS cut me a pretty damn good deal on a 55 gallon tank so i got that instead of getting a huge tank right away as it was quite literally the sort of price i will never see again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store