Guianacara pair for 40G??

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Was wondering if a 40G is suitable for a pair of guianacara cichlids, you dont see them much here so not overly familiar with them.
Google is giving the usual mixed bag of information so not sure what to believe.
They would be in a 40G planted with wood and rocks tankmates would be a bunch of swordtails and guppies.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I would say so they max out at 4-6 I think that is plenty of space. Really great choice they are neat cichlids
I had a breeding Grp (I think 6) in a 33 gallon for years....
Thanks Guys, this is tempting me a bit more. I originally wanted a Central american fish but theres not much choice at the moment in the LFS.
These are pretty rare her, usually $60.00 each but I saw a shop that had heaps at $15 each so they caught my eye, thats a good price for such a rare fish.

The main problem is I dont know much about them, ive read they prefer groups of 1 male and a few females, cant find any info on telling the juvenile sexes apart, also how do they go with plants?

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
View attachment 1451693
My hand is about 7" from wrist edge of the palm to the end of the middle finger.
It took about year to get from 1/2" to the size above.
I'd consider a 40 gal to be only a temporary grow out tank
I started my group in a 75, by 2 to 3" they were squaring off, so moved to a 6 ft tank
View attachment 1451694
Wow they are giants for sure. As they are relatively new to the market here i dont know much about them, certainly didnt think they would get quite so big.
Im glad I havent made a hasty decision with stocking this tank but i am getting a bit frustrated with the lack of fish in the LFS which would be suitable.
I was pretty set on these or some natural blue acara, first choice is still the multispinosa but cant find them anywhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store