Gulper Catfish...lying on its side...? Problem. Need advice.

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
I have 2 Gulper Cats. I've had them for about 4 years and they have grown to around 12" each.

Just over 6 months ago, one of the cats became very lethargic. It was usually the most active of the two cats.

It now lies on it's side all day.

I realise that Gulpers are a sedentary species, so I do not expect them to be in anyway active, but because the Cat lies on its side, I am concerned.

I initally thought it was just a phase, but it has been this way for just over 6 months now. The other cat has remained the same throughout this period with no change to it's usual condition or behaviour.

They both still eat completely fine and appear rampant as soon as food is put into the tank. Fed on mostly King Prawns, white fish and catfish pellets stuffed in the fish.

There are no visible problems with the catfish.

Water change is 35% every week. I get zero readings on Ammonia and Nitrite. Nitrate is a little more than I'd like, but it is this way out of the tap and has never been a problem in my 20+ years of fishkeeping.

I really don't know if it is a problem or not. I would have expected more detitoration in the 6 month period since it started lying on it's side, but I'm kind of bummed that is still lying this way, worrying that something is wrong. It's hard to get info on this species, so I really want to know if this is normal or not, particularly in older, larger specimens.

Thanks!

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
I'll get one up.

But there's really not much to show, it's just on its side.

I would note that 95% of the time, it is on its side in the same place in the tank.

No heavy breathing or any other signs of distress.

I'm at a loss, really hope someone can advise.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Is he lying by any decor? He may just think he is more hidden this way? The only other thing that pops into my head with symptoms like being "unbalanced" is swim bladder disease

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Yes, he had a specific spot right up against a big piece of bog wood.

I changed the decor around a month ago, and he's chosen a new spot which is well protected from all sides. He is more or less always there. Though on brief occasions he is a little more out and still on his side.

If the other Gulper pushes him out, he always turns, and goes back in to the same spot, lying in the same direction (and on his side).

How could I better diagnose swim bladder disease, and if it was that, treat it?

edit: I see that swim bladder disease is often caused by constipation, from overeating. I wonder if this is it...suggestions I've read involve giving the fish shelled peas. Of course, the gulper won't touch anything that isn't meat.

So, I think, this might be my plan:

- Reduce the feeding schedule of the Gulper in question.
- In the food I do give it, stuff the prawns/white fish with a load of shelled peas.
- See if it improves at all.

What do people think of that?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Loss if equilibrium in a fish is commonly swim bladder disease but the swelling of other organs can cause this as well, the only diagnosis I know is a loss of "balance" but as far as I know antibiotics are your best bet for all of the causes except parasites, if they are unavailable then you need a strong antibacterial meds and if no improvement I would do a 75%wc leave it a week then do your usual wc and start a parasite med like sterazine. On a side note maybe some floating plants would help with your nitrate problem

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Yes, he had a specific spot right up against a big piece of bog wood.

I changed the decor around a month ago, and he's chosen a new spot which is well protected from all sides. He is more or less always there. Though on brief occasions he is a little more out and still on his side.

If the other Gulper pushes him out, he always turns, and goes back in to the same spot, lying in the same direction (and on his side).

How could I better diagnose swim bladder disease, and if it was that, treat it?

edit: I see that swim bladder disease is often caused by constipation, from overeating. I wonder if this is it...suggestions I've read involve giving the fish shelled peas. Of course, the gulper won't touch anything that isn't meat.

So, I think, this might be my plan:

- Reduce the feeding schedule of the Gulper in question.
- In the food I do give it, stuff the prawns/white fish with a load of shelled peas.
- See if it improves at all.

What do people think of that?
Yea your right this can also be a cause, you can use Epsom salts to treat this as well but you will have to research the dose for a catfish as I have never used it

Abyss

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2008
UK
Yeah, I looked at salt but from what I understand, it is a big 'no no' with these catfish. People say they are very intolerant to it.

I tried some floating plants once but they eventually all died out, I have the tank light really low as it is just the Gulpers in the tank and they prefer it that way. Nitrates are like 40ppm which really shouldn't be a major problem, though it is more than I'd obviously like.

I always get really nervous about using strong meds, particularly with wild fish, so I think I'll try the peas first, and then consider the meds if I haven't seen an improvement. The only thing I've used so far is Pimafix & Melafix but it did nothing.

Hopefully I can sort it out. All advice appreciated.

ps. What antibiotics would you recommend if I went down that route, and from what source? Thank you.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Ok good luck, keep us posted :) and I'm not sure on the antibiotics brands because they are hard to get here but you want a broad spectrum antibiotic to target almost every cause.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
You can treat with epsom salt (pre diluted), at a rate of 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons safely. This will help relieve constipation typically within 24 hours. If this doesn't help after about 3 days, I would change 60-70% of the tank water and try treating with prazipro or some fish safe form of praziquantel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store