Gulper catfish

Are gulper catfish are able to eat small crawfish?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Jbrown2421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
New England, USA
Does anyone know if gulper catfish are able to eat crawfish? ive always assumed not but then I heard someone online that said they were planning on it when their gulper gets bigger, only reason I’m curious is because my mother crawfish has eggs

Reactions: tlindsey

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
What you want to do is talk to thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the MFK! Interesting question.

What you want to do is talk to thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
Not this time. I've no personal experience, nor do I recall reading anything on this aspect of gulper feeding habits. I'd need to do some homework... and only if I found an expert stating it is 100% safe, I'd try. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't risk it, if the crawfish has value.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have no personal experience with gulper.
But dang, seeing what these guys can eat, my bet is that they will.
I know a lot of fish relish a couple crayfish now and again.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Wow Viktor doesn’t have experience with something, I’m honestly suprised to be honest.
Do you think it’s the make up of the crayfish meat itself or the fact that it had claws? If it’s the latter option they always could be removed before feeding I suppose.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Wow Viktor doesn’t have experience with something, I’m honestly suprised to be honest.
Do you think it’s the make up of the crayfish meat itself or the fact that it had claws? If it’s the latter option they always could be removed before feeding I suppose.
Someone kept a gulper with crayfish and it worked fine, likely because the crayfish stayed out of the cats way, another fish that has successfully been kept with adult gulper sis guppies which are ignored due to their small size

Reactions: Jbrown2421
As long as you keep it well fed you will have no problems. Very well fed. What do you mean by small tho? If it big it might scare it away by waving its claws and the catfish will probably decide, heck, I'll go look somewhere else. If it's really small the cat might not even notice it (see post above). If it's in that middle ground it's screwed. I suggest moving the crawfish to another tank regardless.

Jbrown2421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
New England, USA
I just wasn’t sure if they’d be able to digest the shell haha thanks for all the help everybody!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store