gunea n chad endlicheri?

jebus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2005
hi peeps

although i rear endlis fpr quite some time

i occasionally come across the mentioning of these terms

since i only buy indonesian-captive bred endlicheris, i would like to noe the difference between these few type of endlis

how big are the difference in between the varying locality.

cougar579

Candiru
MFK Member
May 11, 2005
Guinea endlicheris tend to have darker markings while Chad basin are lighter in color. I have also noticed more markings around the mouth of Guinea endlicheris.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Its just base color and pattern as cougar said -Anne

Kenta

Gambusia
MFK Member
My favorite of the three is the volta river variant. The one i got was really thick, had a really fat head and bulked up quite a lot. Much more tan colored than your usual endi.
This is when i first got it

Guinea endi in quarantine

same fish on black sand

much flatter and wider head than the volta i had

The Chads i got were smaller about 6-8"
Small guy in the front is the chad, bigger guy in the back is the guinea, again its in their q-tank

another for color comparison, left chad right guinea

this is the chad on black

I've seen pics of other batches Toyin has had and they seem to vary a little depending on the batch that, but it could be for a lot of reasons (ie. lighting, water-i have lots of driftwood so more tannins, stress level of the fish etc etc)

mcblack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
singapore
streetcypher based on what you have said, there seems to be 3 variants, volta, chad and gunea, right? what is the difference between volta and the other two? :confused:

mcblack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
singapore
street cypher said:
Each of them have slightly different colors (stripes and base) and to a lesser extent body shapes.
thanks for the info, volta river variant is much more different than the two looks similar to endlicheri congicus because of its wide head, but none the less of the variant, endlicheri is cool :grinyes:

jimtan75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2006
Singapore
Talk about different locality, i remembered few years back there's a japan endlicheri keepers told me about the different between niger and chaq, endlicheri from niger have long, slim body where chad endlicheri have shorter, thicker body and the dorsal fins are more triangular shaped than niger. So far in my country, most of endlicheri here are farm bred, cant really tell which river are they orginated from.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store